Faculty Travel Policies
Special Update - (Updated July 25, 2014)
Full-time faculty are eligible for one travel award per year up to $575.00. If a second award is requested, payment will be contingent on available funds.
Special Update - (Updated May 28, 2014)
For the fiscal year starting July 1, 2014, faculty are eligible to receive up to $575 from the Provost Travel Award for the presentation of research/creative works at professional meetings and events.
An employee on unpaid leave of absence at the time of the travel, will not be eligible for a Provost Travel Award.
Special Update - (Updated July 3, 2013)
For the fiscal year starting July 1, 2013, faculty are eligible to receive up to $350 from the Provost Travel Award for the presentation of research/creative works at professional meetings and events.
Faculty can receive up to two awards per year. Awards must be in separate semesters.
We DO NOT fund:
- Non-presenting participants
- Attending board meetings for which are you an officer
- Presenting as part of a panel that requires little preliminary preparation beforehand. Simply, the presentation you are using as the basis of the application must be equivalent to preparing for a full, scholarly presentation.
The Provost Travel Awards will no longer cover registrations.
Should you apply now? YES! You must apply at least two weeks prior to travel and but no more than six months before you travel.
You are required to submit paperwork within two weeks of your return to the CITR office. Failure to do so will result in forfeiture of your award. Please consult the procedures outlined on this page.
If you are unclear about anything on the award application, the policies, or when awards will be funded, contact the CITR office at 309/298-2434 or CITR@wiu.edu
The Provost Award for Faculty Travel has been established to provide financial assistance to faculty who will be presenting scholarly/professional activities at professional conferences or meetings and to encourage continued publication of active research and support invited performances in the creative arts.
The Director of the Center for Innovation in Teaching and Research shall establish a committee from the Center's Advisory Board. The Advisory Board consists of representatives from the four Colleges, Library, and Quad Cities. The Award Committee shall evaluate and make recommendations with regard to the applications for travel fund support. The Director shall chair this committee. The committee will meet continously while funds exist.
**Effective July 1, 2013** If an honorarium is provided, please include the amount and if any travel expenses are provided. Please forward a copy of your contract to CITR. A presentation or performance with an honorarium over $2,000.00 is not eligible for a Provost Travel Award as sufficient funds for travel are available in the honorarium.
The following are the policies for this award:
- Awards are to support travel for the presentation of accepted papers, invited performances or equivalent professional activity. The fee does not support registration fees or per diem (meals).
- Applications must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the actual presentation date, but no more than six months prior to the presentation date.
The application period will last until the funds are exhausted. Faculty members are encouraged to apply early to better their chances of being approved for an award.
- Applicant must be either a full-time Unit A or B faculty member. Additionally, department chairs are not eligible for an award.
- Maximum award for each conference is $575.
- Various weighting factors will be used to determine award recipients and amounts:
- Tenure/Tenure-track faculty will be given preference over Unit B.
- Level of conference (international, national, regional, state)
- Prestige of presentation or performance (examples: top paper recognition, Lincoln Center Performance invitation, etc.)
- Compliance with policy and procedures from last award (turned in copy of paper, follow through on all paperwork, following timeline, etc.)
- Faculty may apply for multiple awards but can only be granted two awards per (fiscal) year. These must be in separate semesters. If funds are limited, faculty members who have not received an award in the past year may be given priority over those who have received an award in the past year.
- Individual and co-presented papers and artistic performances are to be weighed equally. If co-presenters are from WIU, each co-presenter must submit an application.
- Faculty who have multiple events at a conference should submit strongest event for consideration.
- Invited presentations/performances will be given the same consideration as competitive events if of equal rigor and prestige (e.g. keynote presentation at a conference or invited performance resulting from national recognition).
- Faculty should indicate the amount of matching funds from the college and department and this amount may affect how much money is awarded through this fund. Faculty are also to state how much travel money they are eligible to receive in a year from their department and college.
- Travel awards are to be awarded during a fiscal year (July 1 through June 30). An application for an award for an event taking place during the summer that crosses fiscal years will receive funding from the fiscal year wherein the event occurs.
- Faculty are to submit a request using the online travel request form located at: https://www.wiu.edu/citr/travel. You will be prompted for your Ecom login and password. You will need to enter:
- A narrative describing how the paper or performance relates to the applicant's professional duties at the University.
- A breakdown of costs to include: Conference Registration, Travel Costs, Hotel, Days in Attendance, other.
- An Abstract or Session Description
- Once complete, the faculty member will submit the application to the electronic system. A copy of the application may be printed for their records. An electronic signature sheet will be emailed to your chair and dean for their approval.
- After the conference, faculty members are to submit documentation of attendance. This will be submitted to CITR no later than two weeks from the presentation date. (note: after this time, the award can be forfeited and reallocated). Documentation consists of:
- a copy of the program cover
- a copy of the program schedule that includes your presentation time
- a copy of the paper being presented or of the creative performance, or equivalent. A submitted paper does not need to lead to publication, but it is strongly encouraged.
- a copy of your boarding pass or copy of your hotel receipt
- Travel award will be transferred to the faculty's department account and the department will be responsible for processing travel expenses.
Note: CITR only reimburses your department AFTER travel has taken place and all necessary information has been submitted.