New Course File
This option allows you to create a new topic using an existing file from the course. It can be an HTML file that you created using the previous method or a document you uploaded to the Manage Files area. Basically, anything that is in your Manage Files area is a Course File.
To add a new course file do the following:
- From your course homepage click Resources in the nav bar and choose Content. Make sure you are in the Manage Content area.
- Find the module you want to add the topic to under Content Items. Click the drop arrow to the right of the module and choose New Course File.
- Build out the topic using the following tabs (Note: only the Properties tab is mandatory, see below).
- If you are just filling in the Properties tab you will need to click Save or Save and New on the bottom right. If you move from the Properties tab to one of the other tabs it will automatically save what you have done.
Hover over each item below to get a closer look:
- Use this tab to give the topic a name in the Title text field. Click the Browse button located under the Content section to link to an existing course file in your Manage Files area.
- Fields with a red asterisk (*) next to them are required. You must fill in these fields before clicking Save or navigating to another tab on the page.
- Use this tab to set restrictions, if required, on a topic in the course.
- To choose the dates when the topic becomes visible, use the Date/Time Restrictions fields.
- To make the topic visible based on certain conditions, use the Release Conditions area.
- Use this tab to linked a Topic Discussion and/or Help Discussion (any discussions you want to link will need to be created in the Discussions tool before it can be linked to the topic).
- Use this tab to add comments for a topic in a course.
- Personal Comments are only visible to you (the person who entered them.)
- Shared Designer Comments are visible to all instructors of the course.
- Use this tab to associate learning objectives (Learning objectives need to first be created in the Competencies tool before they can be linked to a topic).
When you are finished click the Save and Close button at the bottom of the page.