This option allows you to create a new topic by linking to most anything including course material (discussions, quizzes, etc.), a page on the internet or an object from the Learning Object Repository.
To add a quicklink do the following:
- From your course homepage click Resources in the nav bar and choose Content. Make sure you are in the Manage Content area.
- Find the module you want to add the topic to under Content Items. Click the drop arrow to the right of the module and choose New Quicklink.
- Build out the topic using the following tabs (Note: only the Properties tab is mandatory, see below).
- If you are just filling in the Properties tab you will need to click Save or Save and New on the bottom right. If you move from the Properties tab to one of the other tabs it will automatically save what you have done.
Hover over each item below to get a closer look:
- Use this tab to give the topic a name in the Title text field. Enter a URL directly into the URL field or click the Quicklink icon beside the URL field to create the link.
- In the Insert a Quicklink window that pops up click the Type drop down and choose what you want to link to. For example, Discussions.
- A new drop down menu will appear with a list of the discussions you have created. Choose the one you want to link to (if you were linking to quizzes or dropbox items, then that is what would appear in this drop down).
- Click the Insert button to close the window.
- Fields with a red asterisk (*) next to them are required. You must fill in these fields before clicking Save or navigating to another tab on the page.
- Use this tab to set restrictions, if required, on a topic in the course.
- To make the topic visible based on certain conditions, use the Release Conditions area.
- To choose the dates when the topic becomes visible, use the Date/Time Restrictions fields.
- Use this tab to linked a Topic Discussion and/or Help Discussion (any discussions you want to link will need to be created in the Discussions tool before it can be linked to the topic).
- Use this tab to add comments for a topic in a course.
- Personal Comments are only visible to you (the person who entered them.)
- Shared Designer Comments are visible to all instructors of the course.
- Use this tab to associate learning objectives. (Learning objectives need to first be created in the Competencies tool before they can be linked to a topic).
When you are finished click the Save and Close button at the bottom of the page.