FYE: Benefits for Students
How does FYE help students?
- Students better manage the transition from high school to college.
- Students develop an excitement and enthusiasm for learning.
- Students develop effective study skills.
- Students see the relationship between what they learn in the
classroom and the world beyond the university.
- Students appreciate that learning extends beyond the classroom and
is a lifelong process.
- Students gain a heightened appreciation for the relationship between
various academic disciplines, and an understanding of how knowledge in
one discipline can inform our view of other disciplines.
- Students become more successful in their first year, making them
more likely to persist to degree completion.
- Students and faculty have the opportunity to interact in as least
one small-section class each semester of the first year, to facilitate
the sorts of relationships and learning activities not often possible in
large, introductory classes.
- Students are socialized into a community of scholars who prize
active learning, civic engagement, and immersion into the world of