Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
First Year Experience
Past Co-Curricular Events
The following list of activities has been provided by previous Peer Mentors. Use this list for possible ideas for your class! Items on this are included exactly as each mentor submitted them.
- RPTA 110: Went to Hornfield Campus and completed the high ropes course.
- RPTA 111: Big Brothers Big Sisters "Bowl for Kids sake" fundraiser and a trip to Lake Argyle. I would also like them to get involved in the footballs homecoming game or something typically "college."
- Geo 110: Went to presentation "Class Dismissed" on campus.
- English 201: "So far, the only "program" type thing I established for my class was a standing Tuesday night study group... Since my class is fiction, this can include watching movies based upon the books they’ve been reading or simply helping them to understand their assignments... it will hopefully change and stay fresh every week... If it needs help to start working, I will do a weekly movie."
- English 195: We have decided to meet every Friday morning at Adams Street Coffee House and discuss the class and how things are going in their life. We are going to the play Sideman tomorrow. We have also gotten together to go over papers before they were due.
- Econ 100: All econ100 classes played softball and grilled out at Everly Park, started at 5:00. My class is also going to be putting out donation boxes for WIU soldiers who are currently overseas. We are also collecting box tops and Betty Crocker points to give to the battered women and children’s location in Macomb.
- Theatre 100: A night of one act plays
- LEJA 101: Paintball at paintball paradise in Macomb: Professor Poncin and I have already scheduled a physical fitness test for this up-coming Monday at Brophy Hall. The kinesthetic department will administer the test using Illinois State Police requirements. The kinesthetic student will also teach the Into to Law Enforcement students ways to improve their health.
- History 105z: On September 16, those from the class who were able to go went to Dickson Mounds Museum near Lewisville, Illinois. They were studying ancient cultures within the US. Dickson Mounds, if you are unaware, is a museum where ancient Mississipian cultures once thrived. Their remains were found on this land. The museum is packed with ancient artifacts and visual aids, which would help many students put this time period into perspective. I believe the best part was the observation deck, which assisted students in finding where ancient ceremony buildings and burial mounds were located in relation to a few modern day structures. We then went to three displays of the actual archeological sites (ceremonial and residential sites).
- Bio 102: Earlier this month we took a Saturday and went to Kibbe Field Station, in which we went on a trail and took a boat ride down the river. Also we went to the "Evolution vs. Atheism" lecture last Thursday.
- FCS 109: Viewing of Supersize Me (with discussion). Attendance at Taste of Culture, Danny Glover’s talk, and World Hunger Presentation/Discussion.
- PSY 100: Attendance at the WISDOM Conference.
- HIST 106: Participating in a Service Project with the Macomb YMCA. Attendance at Showcase of Bands. Viewing of The Queen.
- HIST 106: Development and presentation of a note taking skills session and a study skills session. Viewing of Life of Brian.
- Geo 110Y: Attendance at the African American Art exhibit from GR Nâ€™Namdi Gallery, the Media Panel Presentation, Everything if Illuminated, U Mdabu Dance Company Presentation, and International Bazaar.