Present: Matthew Clark, Sean West, Chad Dennis, Bill Bushaw, Laura Finch, Phyllis Self, Sharon Evans, Sean Cordes, Dawn Sweet
Minutes from Last Meeting
- Approved and seconded.
iTunesU Banner Update
- Those in attendance discussed proposed banners for iTunes U.
- Looked at each example to determine, a.) does it show mobile activities, are both campuses captured, is it visually appealing.
- Those present voted that the favorite is iTunes_4.jpg. However, we would like to suggest some changes, would like to see the two outer images of the campus on the right and left side smaller. Would like to include the three pictures from the right-hand side of iTunesU_10.jpg as a picture pile (collage) in the middle of iTunes_4.jpg. Keep Western Illinois University at bottom and include the yellow bar that was incorporated in iTunesU_6.jpg.
Faculty Preparedness Mobile Awareness Day Update
- Chad Dennis reported CITR will be taking the lead on this initiative.
- Determined that event would be for Faculty only.
- Dean Self told Chad that he could consider his budget to be 1,000.00 for the event stating that she and Dean Kreider could be counted on for funding. Chad also said he would talk to Roger to see if he would be able to contribute if the event is only open to faculty.
- Decided name would be: Mobile Computing Awareness Day (MCAD) (abbreviation provided by Sean Cordes.)
- Decided to make people register. There was some discussion on whether faculty would get PAA points for this and how many.
- Jason Beckham will be doing the same presentation he is going to do for our MCTF committee at the August 19th meeting. He also said he would talk to corporate about trends.
- Decided to have 6 30-minute sessions (one of these being Dean Self and Kreider repeated two times, and one being Apple’s presentation two times) and simultaneous demonstrations. The 30- minute sessions will take place in 180 in the library while the demonstrations will take place in the Atrium area.
- A Call for Presentations will be sent out via Tele-Stars to get faculty to demonstrate projects.
- Phyllis Self asked for follow-up from Rori Carson regarding getting people from the QC here. We think we decided we would wait to see how many would register before reserving a van or setting a CODEC connection. Rori, is this correct?
- Asked Matthew Clark about having a student worker or representative at U-Tech demonstrate setting up Zimbra Mail and other apps on mobile devices such as iPods, iPhones, etc.
- Sean Cordes recommended hosting a make and take series of demonstrations in the digital commons area during the event.
Podcasting/iTunes U Subcommittee Update
- Dean Self said that Bruce Biagini is getting a release statement ready for parents of students who are under age.
- Matthew Clark reported for Richard Chamberlain that the three-column public layout and new iTunes U interface will move forward when the final image for the banner has been provided to Dan Romano.
Research and Development
- Sean Cordes recommends that we look at the Apple Educators Program, which trains faculty and developers to create iPhone applications.
- Sean also recommends checking out the App Store on iTunes.
Update on Broadcasting Program
- Sharon Evans reported that only 1 student specified that they were not coming to WIU’s Broadcasting program because of the laptop requirement.
- Sharon didn’t know of anyone using the Credit Union for the purchase; Matt Clark said he believed he knew of one person that was using the credit union.
- Sharon is noticing students are coming in with questions about what they can do with their laptops, specific software, and etc.
- Sean Cordes requested a list of software that broadcasting students are using so they can match that software in the digital commons area.
Meeting was adjourned.
The next meeting is to be held: August 19, 2009 at 3:00p.m.
- Horrabin Hall Room 1 (Macomb)
- Room 114 (QC)