Jill Myers, Kathy Neumann, Kevin Morgan, Laura Finch, Phyllis Self, Sam Edsall, Daniel Kruzel, Sharon Evans, T.J. Urbanski, Teresa Koltzenburg, Sean West, Mike Dickson, Rori Carson, Dawn Sweet
Minutes from Last Meeting:
- Approved as submitted with no corrections.
- Danielle Kruzel – New Student Representative from Broadcasting. (Introduced by Sharon Evans)
- Survey of participants? Was there one? We will wait for report from Chad Dennis -CITR.
- Thoughts on making this an annual recurring event:
- TJ reported that Chad Dennis commented that the event went well, and was well attended and we should try to do it every year.
- TJ Urbanski made the motion to have the event held annually. Sam Edsall seconded the motion. Everyone in attendance was in favor of continuing the event.
- Jilly Myers asked how many people showed up. Sean West thought maybe 40, but we await confirmation from Chad and CITR. Sam Edsall reported that he thought Apple Rep presentation was less than stellar. It was the same presentation that we had in our last meeting. TJ says we should open it up to be more robust and have other companies/software besides Apple. Mike Dickson recommended needing to see more apps.
- Sharon Evans recommended setting a date fairly soon if we want to get a place in the University Union. TJ recommended Capitol Room so you can outline poster sessions along outside and then have screen in middle of room. Phyllis Self recommended you could also use different areas of the library like Garden Lounge, etc.
- Mike Dickson recommends some of the cell phone companies and providers to provide more sponsorship and interest. If we start earlier we could get more of these partnerships started. Mentioned Verizon and US Cellular.
- Overall everyone thought it went very well for first time.
Mobile Apps Development (Kathy Neumann Report):
- Sent out challenge with carrot of weaving it into independent study.
- 9 or 10 students indicated interest. Divided into 3 groups. They decided three separate projects from easy to more time intensive, which will take more time than they have.
- Menu Group – Menus from residence halls, convenience store, etc
- Bus Group – Map bus routes in more dynamic fashion on small screen. Want to know when transponders will be on buses.
- Mapping Group – Huge project! Wants a dot on every room on the campus. They are trying to get it more interactive with campus level. Mike Dickson encourages them to touch base with GIS people. Kathy doesn’t anticipate them getting done with the time that they have.
- They do not care for the Apple (SDK) Development kit.
- They are finding that there are a lot of differences with mobile settings on different devices within web design and the way that the browsers display them.
- Phyllis Self asked what year they were. Kathy said they range from fairly young to seniors. They have made sure that each group contains a range.
- They are having a lot of fun and spending a lot of time on it.
- Teresa K. asked if they would be interested in publicity story. Kathy said probably, but lets give them a few more weeks so that they have something more final to show before we do that.
- Mike Dickson may be able to get a technical representative to come here and talk with the CS student Groups.
Update from Broadcasting:
- So far so good. Sam Edsall BC101 courses are coming along. Up to week 5 hasn’t been laptop intensive, but starting with week 5 it will be. Today was first day that everyone that had a laptop was to bring it to class. Not everyone had one.
- Has been getting a lot of email for help with software installations, serial numbers not working, etc.
- Sharon Evans reported she had brief conversation with Matthew Clark that UT had been overwhelmed with installing software and that really isn’t their job. So Broadcasting has discussed having a couple of sessions in the Spring to assist with setting up computers. Would have Matthew from UT and Khaing Saw from COFAC to assist with that. Also, discussed creating a handout to assist them with it.
- One of the things that is challenging for Sharon is to keep new Freshman motivated. Has taken brave step and turned over Broadcasting Facebook account to Danielle and other student, and another student who will manage Twitter account. Other students are blogging soccer games, etc.; a newscast, football game, etc. Trying to encourage Freshman by giving them new opportunities to use new media and technology.
- One challenge – All faculty received laptops, has encouraged them to go into classroom and use PowerPoint or whatever even if their class doesn’t require it. Tried to set up new classroom with a switcher so they could use laptop or iMac, and those things have been the death of them. Recommend trying all of this well before going into the classroom prior to starting. Having trouble getting all of this to work in the classrooms. Mike
New UT Computer Store Manager:
- Mike Dickson updated that there is a new UT Computer Store Manage. Will be increasing inventory, having some Dell machines, etc. up there. Hats off to Matt Clark and Dean Roberts for filling these duties.
- Rori Carson asked if there would be any assistance through that UT store to help the students install the software? Is there a plan in the works for that? Would this assist Sharon. Mike Dickson points out we are suffering from people doing double duty. Mike said that they are currently looking at models of how this is being done at other universities. Sharon pointed out that Final Cut Pro takes quite some time. Mike mentioned that some of those things can be ordered from Apple pre-installed.
- He mentioned brining the new store manager to MCTF to get feedback from the group.
- Rori Carson asked if they are doing any exit services there. Not at this time because there hasn’t been a manager.
Next PR Push – Teresa Koltzenburg:
- What might be next step?
- TJ recommended moving toward building upon what students are doing with these technologies.
- Teresa said for instance doing the type of blog with students like what was done in LEJA with Delmar.
- The religious studies department is sending students out with flip cameras to record videos etc.
- Teresa reported that WIU got their first complaint for ADA compliance so videos need to be captioned.
- Jill Myers mentioned that she has an honors class (General Honors 299) that is doing nothing but using new technology and justify why they are making the technology choices that they are. Starting next Wednesday for the next three weeks they will be doing a presentation and backing up with research why they are doing it. Every major is represented.
- Phyllis recommended that Teresa follow up with Jill and Kathy.
- Phyllis recommended following up in the next month with where we are going.
Subcommittee - Research
- No Updates
Subcommittee - Orientation and Marketing:
- No Updates
Subcommittee - Financial Aid:
- No Updates
Subcommittee - Technical Support:
- No Updates
Subcommittee - Faculty Preparedness :
- Survey is out with results to be closed October 1.
- When Dawn Sweet returns will report on qualitative aspects of the survey. Sean Cordes may report on quantitative portions and provide some correlations between the first R&D survey.
- Report to follow in Spring.
Subcommittee - iTunes U and Podcasting:
- No Updates
- October 28th 3:00 in MLK, Macomb and QC 114
- November 18th at 3:00 in HH1, Macomb and QC 114
(Introduced by Sharon Evans)Meeting adjourned at 4:08pm