Present: Laura Finch, Kathy Newmann, Jill Myers, Sharon Evans, John Cooper, Dean Kreider, Dean Self, Tammy Sales (Library Marketing), Sean West, Sam Edsall, Chad Dennis, Dawn Sweet, Sean Cordes, Betsy Hommel
Minutes from March 2010 correction Daniel Kruzel – Approved with Corrections.
Last meeting for this academic year. September will be next meeting.
Schedules for next Fall – email will go out to all and find a suitable time to meet.
- Chad Dennis – Sharon, Teresa, TJ, and Chad met.
- Met with Derek Hammond student rep. He will not be here. They are going to see if they can get someone else to do a poster session.
- Telestars will go out this week or next week to everyone on campus. Will send it out again at beginning of Fall semester. Faculty present at the meeting suggested waiting until third day of semester.
- There will be a note in the Telestars to have students interested in being involved contacting Chad Dennis.
- Individual from App Maker will not be able to come.
- Someone from Nursing is interested in being on MCTF and will join us at the first meeting in the Fall. Will also be interested in doing a demo on what Nursing is doing with mobile devices at MCAD.
- Dean Self sent out request for money to the Deans. There was no response.
- Dean Self contacted Sodexho to see if they could help out with food somehow. They were very accepting of the request and asked if we could help with clean up and getting equipment back to the Union. Said if we could that would help with being able to provide this.
- Teresa said that she was going to contact someone from Kristen Dunsten’s office regarding the Mobile Marketing committee.
- Sharon spoke to Daniel Kruzel. He intends to help, and may present something if students can present at the event. She also has a group of students to talk about the laptop program.
- Chad doesn’t remember if he emailed the 20 people from the Survey.
- Marketing ideas from Tammy Sales – a poster to put in the library? Chad met with Bruce Walters, he is going to see if any of his Art students are available to put together posters or programs.
- Dean Kreider asked what we did last time? Poster in the library, TeleStars, Teresa put something out last year.
- Jill Myers suggests putting a podcast on the Front Page of the WIU website.
- Dean Self asked if we have a logo or something that we could use?
- John Cooper recommended setting up a Facebook page. Chad Dennis will create a Fan Page and invite members of the committee to be Administrators.
- Tammy Sales will put it on the University Calendar.
- At this point we know that there will be one give away prize.
- Sean recommended Jerry McKierman connecting via a distance to provide a presentation on Mobile Applications. He is going to find out if this will be an option.
- Sean Cordes recommended having a virtual debate for that.
- Dawn Sweet will draft a summary of surveys and activities from the committee over this year.
- Will send out draft to the listserv this Summer.
- Members will respond to draft of report over the Summer.
- Will have final draft ready for September meeting in the Fall.
- Dean Self attended Provost’s meeting where Academic Goals for 2010-2011 was finalized.
- Under Enhanced Learning Culture “Technology into the classroom” and “Continue to Explore distance education opportunities for place bound students” have been included.
- Paul and Dean Self will continue to work on this.
- They don’t feel that they need to stay how they are.
- Feel that the iTunes Subcommittee is not necessarily needed any more.
- Sean Cordes stated that because integrating technology is a goal that Infrastructure, and iTunes U could be combined.
- Sean would like to keep Research and Development separate.
- Dean Self feels that role of the committee is to assist faculty in integrating technology.
- Is this not what CITR already does? Chad said this is what they do and that means any type of software, hardware, etc.
- Sean says it wouldn’t be this group role to provide the training. It would be the committee’s role to identify the applications that are out there and successful, and then identify those pieces that should be presented to the University.
- Sean recommends outlining a list of goals for each subcommittee at the beginning of the year.
- Four subcommittees
- Research and Development
- Promotion of Technology Integration
- Jill Myers suggests doing something for all Freshman (FYE) and have an online series of materials.
- Dean Self states continual need for training for Faculty and Students will should be woven into report on Review of FYE.
- Sean trying to find a carrot to get students to come and learn. We need a checklist for transfer students because they don’t have to come and do anything. It will be different for each group. FYE group is a good candidate because they can be required to do something.
- Do you see it coming from the library? Jill states it can come from any FYE class.
- Dean Self shared that FYE is going to be reviewed. It is an opportune time to work on integrating these types of ideas.
- Help identify the type of data that can be used to fill the WIU Knowledgebase regarding Mobile Computing.
- Draft is done.
- Grants for the National Science Foundation is ongoing so he feels that there will be another opportunity.
- Has been tied up with another grant.
- Support is part of the issue. Someone is going to have to put everything together, monitor it, and keep everything running.
- Will finish it and send it out.
- Shared LibGuides Web 2.0 tool. Many universities have put mobile resources together on their LibGuides. List databases with mobile access, links on finding mobile applications, live tools, collaboration tools, and etc.
- The Library is going to build a mobile resource guide.
- Sean wants to have anyone that have links of applications that colleges have made that can be shared.
- FIPSE is providing grants for people making good use of mobile technology. At a recent university they developed courses on Flash Drives. When students bring them up everything is in a Flash-based system. The only time students have to log on to the Internet is when they need to log on to hand something in or print something, etc. Suggests looking into these new ideas for mobile ideas. http://libguides.rice.edu/mobile
- Jill recommends that this group is a prime candidate for a FIPSE grant because there is representation of all colleges, rural area, health issues, and etc.
- Sean Cordes recommended a new App Maker called iSites http://isites.us/.
Next meeting will be in September. Email will be sent out regarding date, time, and location.