Present: Betsy Hommel, Dawn Sweet, Teresa Koltzenburg, AJ Lutz, Bill Knox, John Cooper, Jill Myers, T.J. Urbanski, Richard Chamberlain, Kathy Neumann, Sharon Evans, David Kruzel, Bruce Walters, Paul Kreider
- TJ Urbanski stated that there are many action items left to attend to on meeting minutes from the April 2010 meeting. Paul Kreider made note of this.
- It was stated that the April 2010 meeting minutes listed four bullets but stated that there would be three subcommittees. The minutes will be updated.
- TJ Urbanski made the motion to approve the April 28, 2009 meeting minutes with corrections. John Cooper seconded the motion.
- Minutes from last meeting were approved.
- Chad Dennis said that MCAD preparations are nearly complete.
- As of September 8, 2010 there were 4 presentations and 5 table showcases for the event.
- Chad spoke to the Provosts office about providing snacks. They will likely be able to provide brownies, cookies, and water.
- A 16GB 3G iPad will be given away at the event. Recipient must be present to win.
- Bruce Walter’s art class designed a very nice visual for the program booklet.
- The TeleStars message about the event has been sent.
- Teresa will contact the Western Courier newspaper.
- She has also posted the event information to the University Calendar.
- A poster has been put up in the Library.
- Everyone on the committee was asked to publicize MCAD in their respective units
- Chad created a Facebook page and Teresa created a reminder on the WIU Fan page as well
- TJ Urbanski suggested putting a poster in the University Union
- AJ Lutz said he would see about putting posters in the front lobby’s or residence halls
- The press release about the event was set to go out on Thursday 9/9/2010.
- Teresa created a Facebook page and it has 68 fans to date.
- The Blog now automatically sends posts up to the Facebook page.
- Teresa has been finding a log of good information to post via library contacts.
- Encourages faculty to contact her in order to do a release or video regarding uses of Mobile Computing around campus.
- Sharon Evans and Paul Kreider have some video cameras to put up a video or could get someone to take a video for faculty. Let them know if you want to use them.
- TJ wants to know if we could have a service-learning project. Wants to use student participation to help with video marketing.
- Paul Kreider asked for a student in Marketing – Craig Conrad was mentioned as a possible contact.
- Everyone, please look in your respective area for students that could assist with video editing projects, and etc.
- Presentations on Wednesday (MCAD) next week might be possible stories for press release or video blog.
- TJ asked if anyone is going to podcast or film presentations at MCAD. Chad said yes and that those from last year are on the YouTube channel.
Subcommittee Structure Revisited:
- A small group (Paul Kreider, Phyllis Self, Chad Dennis, Dawn Sweet, Sean Cordes) met one time over the summer tried to combine efforts into fewer subcommittees.
- A draft of this was submitted to the group during today’s meeting.
- Members present were encouraged to review the draft of sub-committees and to review membership.
- Paul Kreider and Dawn Sweet spoke about the idea of having a Digital Book Club in which faculty would read digital books on a device such as an iPad or iPod Touch while at the same time forming a community to learn about the other features that this type of technology has to offer. This was initially discussed over the Summer by Dawn, Phyllis Self, and Sean Cordes. Will likely wait until Spring, awaiting more information from Phyllis Self.
- Jill Myers recommended faculty having a day to get together at lunch to talk about apps that they like during lunch, etc. Chad will discuss CITR organizing something like this with Roger Runquist.
- Dawn Sweet mentioned we should probably not limit to just iPad/iPod Apps but also think about Android and other mobile applications as well.
- TJ Urbanski was taken off of Mobile Computing Awareness day.
- It was decided to put Sam Edsall on Promotion and Integration subcommittee.
- Paul Kreider would like to be added to Promotion and Integration of New Technology subcommittee as well.
- Laura Finch and Sam Butzo have left the university and therefore will no longer be members of the Mobile Computing Taskforce.
- Kathy Neumann recommended polling to see if they still plan on being on the committee. Paul Kreider will follow-up with individuals that have not been present recently.
- TJ Urbanski sees mobile computing as an opportunity for change in the ways of teaching classes. TJ mentions that the situation is not going to go away and if nothing more we should be communicating what the committee is doing and the relevancy throughout campus. (Referring to things like going to Faculty Senate, etc.)
- Jill Myers believe that when visiting groups such as the Faculty Senate or even speaking to leadership about the potential of mobile computing it is vital to have student works to show what they are doing or different samples of what they are using and/or creating. She recommends creating short video clips to show that it is a combined effort to give examples of where the students are already going and what they are already doing.
- John Cooper mentioned the new iPod Touch etc. comes with a camera and video capabilities.
- Paul Kreider - Any other personnel changes? No.
MCTF Meeting Time
- Richard Chamberlain mentioned this time will never work for Mike Dickson due to a change management meeting in University Technology that is already planned during this time slot.
- Bill Knox may or may not have conflict with Environmental Summit Committee.
- Paul Kreider will contact those that were not here today. Will assume that everyone that was here today can meet at this time. Will talk to Mike as soon as he can to get information out
Survey Summary and MCTF Report
- Not everyone received a copy prior to the meeting. Therefore, we will be covered at next meeting.
- Paul Kreider will send it out to the committee.
- Please feel free to make changes, additions, and deletions
- We are in need of a variety of information to complete the report.
- Turn on track changes to review what is still needed.
- Will leave this item for next month when Dean Self returns.
- October 13, 2010 – 3:00p.m. Horrabin Hall 1. Quad Cities location to be announced.