Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Western Organization for Women
Promoting Equal Opportunity for Over 40 Years
The Western Organization for Women (WOW) was established in 1971 out of concern for women's opportunities for advancement on the campus of Western Illinois University. [View more about our history]
The purpose of WOW is to provide for continuing interaction among members in order to consider and act on common interests and issues relating to women. One of the first projects undertaken by WOW was a landmark salary study which led to some improvement in women's salaries.
- To promote equal opportunity for women in all situations within the university;
- To enhance the position of women at the university;
- To collaborate with other local, state, and national women’s organizations in order to assist in improving the status of women in society; and
- To stimulate and encourage women students at WIU to become aware of their roles as women and to participate in activities which define and enlarge these roles.
We Need YOUR Help to Support Our Mission
- Become a member. Membership is open to ALL members of the campus community, no matter the classification, contract, role, gender. If you wish to help us advance the cause of social justice, join us!
- Submit your questions for our annual "Meeting with the President."
- Attend our events
- Make a donation
- Listen to 51% on WIUM Tri-States Radio on Saturdays & send an email to the station thanking them for hosting this program
- Join our Programming Committee
2013 - 2014 Executive Board
Some of WOW's Successes
Though these issues continue to require our attention, support, and advocacy, some of the ways WOW has made WIU a better place for all include:
- Getting a dedicated Women's Studies program Degree Program
- Documenting the need, advocating for, and raising the funds to establish a Women's Center
- Establishing more equity on spending for the women's sports teams
- Getting women's personal product bins in women's bathrooms
- Advocating for more representation in administrative decision-making positions on campus
- A Landmark study on salary equity
- WIU's Parental Leave benefits
- Dedicated Lactation Rooms on campus