Communication Sciences & Disorders
"I work as a speech language pathologist at one of the top academic medical institutions in the country. This would not be possible without the education and clinical experiences that I received..." -- Jeff Edmiaston, M.S. CCC-SLP, Barnes Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO
Communication sciences and disorders students study speech and language development, anatomy and physiology of speech and hearing, speech and hearing sciences, speech, language and hearing pathologies, and basic evaluation and management procedures. This major is especially attractive to those who are interested in working with people of all ages with language and speech disorders.
Our passing rate in the praxis (national examination) for speech pathology has been 100% for the past 7 years, well above the national average of approximately 76% (per ASHA, 2005). Employment placement 3 months post-graduation has ALWAYS been 100% for our program!
Our graduates continue their study either in;
- speech-language pathology (to the completion of a master's degree) or
- audiology (to the completion of a clinical doctorate in audiology)
and BOTH of these options of study are certified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association upon successful completion of all requirements.
This degree field ranks among the top 10 professions in providing jobs for the 21st century. Our graduates pursue careers as;
- Speech Language Pathologist (a.k.a. Therapist) in Schools or Professional Medical Settings
- Private Practitioners
- Administrators in Government
- Administrators and Faculty in Higher Education
...as well as pursue graduate work.
Why Choose Communication Sciences & Disorders at WIU?
Our program has a rich history of providing excellent clinical services to populations of all ages - students in WIU's Communication Sciences and Disorders major can work in the campus Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic for clinical practicum experience, or in several off-campus sites.
Some of Our Graduates
- Amber Martin-Postin, M.S.
- Heather Ensminger-Gustifson, M.S.
At A Glance
- Degree Available: Bachelor of Science, Master of Science
- Minor Available? No
- Graduate Degree Available? Yes
- Campus: Macomb
- Study Opportunities: GradTrac, Graduate Studies