Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
WIU is required by state law to abide by the Illinois Information Technology Accessibility Act (IITAA). These guidelines specifically address audio/video requirements in sections 6 and 7 of the IITAA requirements.
Audio/Video Captioning Requirements
- All web videos provided to the public (or required to be viewed by employees) are required to be captioned.
- One exception: if web videos contain essential audio but no essential video then a text transcript may be provided instead of captions (see IITAA Section 7.1).
- If a web video contains visual information critical to comprehension (that isn't discernible from the audio), audio descriptions must additionally be provided (see IITAA Section 7.2).
- All audio files provided to the public (or required to be listened to by employees) must be provided with text transcripts (see IITAA Section 6.3).
Below are listed resources/techniques to to assist in the captioning of video.
If you are captioning video yourself, the following resources are helpful:
- Captioning Tools for YouTube videos
- Media Player Accessibility
- Captioning Windows Media
- Captioning RealPlayer
- Captioning Quicktime
If you need help captioning video: