Department of Biological Sciences
During pre-registration advising, please contact the departmental office at (309) 298-1546 to schedule an appointment with one of the advisors.
Medical sciences (in preparation for Medical, Veterinary, Dentistry, Optometry, Physician Assistant, and Physical and Occupational Therapy), botany, microbiology, zoology, and clinical laboratory science majors are all advised by:
Vicki J. Walters (309) 298-1546, Waggoner Hall 381.
or by one of the Grad Advisors.
- Honors Program Information / RISE Program
The Axon is a newsletter from the Academic Advisors, provided once each semester.
WIU's STARS Registration Website: Use STARS to see
which courses are offered and to register.
- Undergraduate Degree Requirements: See the WIU Undergraduate Catalog listing for Biological Sciences.
- Transferring courses? Visit Transferology to learn which courses transfer from other Illinois colleges and universities.
Biology teacher certification students are advised by:
Dr. Laura Barden-Gabbei, post-method - by appointment; please call (309) 298-1546.
Jennifer Sandrik-Rubio, appointment sign-up sheet outside Tillman 415.
"As our students prepare to become middle and high school science teachers, they engage in a variety of research. This experience is critical in helping them develop a real sense of the process of science as they prepare to teach their students what science is all about." Dr. Laura M. Barden-Gabbei
Related Majors and Minors
- Chemistry (Forensic and Regular)
- Conservation/Animal Science (Agriculture)
- Environmental Science (Interdisciplinary studies minor)
- FMEA (Functional Morphology & Evolutionary Anatomy) (Interdisciplinary between Biological Sciences and Sociology/Anthropology)
- Health Sciences
- Horticulture (Interdisciplinary studies minor)
- Neuroscience (Psychology minor)
- Recreation Parks and Tourism Administration
Academic Programs and
- Clinical Lab Science / course guideline
- What career options are there for a Clinical Lab Science option? Read more ...
Biology major with options in:
- Medical Sciences
- course guideline in preparation for Medical, Veterinary, Dentistry, Optometry, and Physicians Assistant
- course guideline in preparation for Physical and Occupational Therapy
- Botany / course guideline
- Microbiology / course guideline
- Zoology / course guideline
Please note: Medical Sciences enrollment requires a minimum GPA of 2.75. A chemistry minor is required with this option in order to prepare students for application to professional schools, such as medical schools, veterinarian programs, dental schools, optometry schools, and physician assistant programs. A psychology minor is required with this option in order to prepare students for application to physical therapy and occupational therapy programs.
Teacher Certification Programs in Science
- Biology degree option
- Chemistry degree option
- Physics degree option
- For more information about the Teacher Education Program go to the Center for the Preparation of Education Professionals (http://www.wiu.edu/CPEP/)
- Note: To be fully accepted to the Teacher Education Program, a minimum GPA of 2.5 overall and in your major are required.
Need to take the MCAT? Many online practice exams, arranged by subject content, are on the MCAT website.
Teach Grant Program: This is a Federal Grant Program with very specific requirements. If you are in the teacher certification option for Biology, Chemistry, or Physics, you may want to consider this.