Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
English and Journalism
Creative Writing Awards 2013
All Western Illinois University undergraduates are welcome to submit their writing to our creative writing contests. The final judges for these contests will be professional writers. Cash prizes and honorable mentions will be awarded.
Winning work will automatically be published in Elements (the magazine of creative work that WIU’s Department of English & Journalism has been producing for over 50 years) and featured in the student reading at the end of the year. Winning authors will be notified by email. All entrants and their friends and family are invited to participate in the celebration; refreshments will be served.
Lois C. Bruner Creative Nonfiction Award
Creative nonfiction can include essays about life experiences—though these may fit into any of the following categories: travelogue, memoir, biography, autobiography, nature writing, or cultural critique. Both voice and style will be weighed heavily in the judging.
You may submit up one essay up to 5,000 words.
Cordell Larner Awards in Fiction and Poetry
Fiction writers and poets alike are invited to submit stories and poems for the Cordell Larner Award. All Western Illinois University undergraduates, regardless of major, are invited to submit up to 3 poems and/or one short story of up to 5,000 words to the contest, though the genres will be judged separately, and awarded cash prizes separately.
- Submissions should be presented to the Department of English and Journalism in 124 Simpkins Hall (there are boxes in the front room on your left) no later than 4:00 pm on February 28th, 2013.
- Entries must be typed, double-spaced.
- Include on the first page of your manuscript your name, address, email and a phone number where you may be reached.
- Please also write or type the exact name of the contest you are entering on the first page of your entry.
- Paper-clip or staple the pages of your entry; no additional binding, folders, or envelopes are required.
- Do not submit the original copy of your work. Entries will not be returned.