English and Journalism
Journalism and Media Law
|Office||226H Simpkins Hall: 309-298-1217|
|Office hours||TT 2-3:30, W 2-3 (SP 15)|
- Ph.D. in mass communications-The Pennsylvania State University (2012)
- Master's degree in international policy and practice-The George Washington University (2008)
- Ph.D. in international journalism-The Communication University of China (2004)
- Bachelor's degree in English reporting and editing-China School of Journalism (1995)
- Bachelor's degree in English language and literature-Sichuan International Studies University (1993)
- Member of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC)
- Member of the International Communication Association (ICA)
- Member of the National Communication Association (NCA)
- Member of the Chinese Communication Association (CCA)
Dr. Yong Tang is a professor of journalism and media law at Western Illinois University (WIU). Tang has been appointed director of the WIU journalism program starting August 2015.
Since he came to WIU in August 2011, Tang has taught a wide range of conceputal and skills courses such as mass media law, mass communication research methods, international communication and foreign press, reporting for mass media, and digitial media skills for journalists and public relations professionals. For the digital media skills course, Tang teaches students how to deliver news and information to a global audience via multiplatform storytelling, social media and data visualization.
Tang's major areas of research are First Amendment, freedom of information, media law and policy, international journalism, global media studies, Chinese press and politics. Since 2011, Tang has presented nearly 10 scholarly papers to various divisions of AEJMC, AEJMC Southeast Colloquium, ICA and NCA annual conventions. He was an invited panelist at the 2014 AAS (Association for Asia Studies)-in-Asia Singapore Conference. His articles appear in many peer-reviewed journals such as Journal of Information Policy, Communication, Culture & Critique, Chinese Journal of Communication, and tripleC: Communication, Capitalism & Critique.
Before joining the WIU faculty, Tang worked as an award-winning professional journalist for nearly 15 years for People's Daily, the largest and most politically influential newspaper in the People’s Republic of China. From August 1995 to January 2004, he was an international news editor in Beijing. From February 2004 to August 2007, Tang worked in the newspaper's Washington, D.C. bureau as a correspondent. He published many face-to-face and one-on-one interviews with high-profile newsmakers such as former President Jimmy Carter, former Secretary of State Colin Powell, the Washington Post Managing Editor Philip Bennett, and General Motors CEO Rick Wagoner. Drawing upon his unique reporting and writing experiences as a foreign correspondent in the world capital of news, Tang published in 2014 in Beijing a four-volume Chinese-language book America in the Eyes of Yong Tang[走马西来欲到天：唐勇看美国].
Tang’s list of academic and professional honors, awards and distinctions includes Chinese Communication Association Outstanding Service Award (2015), Western Illinois University Professional Achievement Award (2015 and 2014), Faces of Penn State (2013), Top 50 Journalism Professors from Journalismdegree.org (2012), AEJMC First Place Faculty Paper Award (2012), AEJMC Best Research Scholar-to-Scholar Presentation Award (2011), Penn State University Gene and Fran Goodwin Journalism Scholarship (2010), Penn State University Graduate Fellowship (2009), George Washington University Freeman Fellowship (2007), and China News Awards (2004).
- Curriculum Vita
- Professional Blog
- Penn State: Graduate studies at Penn State help shape journalist-turned-educator
- Penn State: Faces of Penn State
- Western Illinois University: WIU Professor Named One of the Faces of Penn State
- Western Courier: Professor receives Penn State recognition
- Western Courier: Tough childhood motivates professor
- Journalismdegree.org: Top 50 journalism professors in 2012
- Western Illinois University: Tang: Among Top 50 Journalism Professors
- People's Daily: English-language column
- People's Daily: Chinese-language column