Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
English and Journalism
CONFERENCE THEME: THE FUTURE OF SUSTAINABILITY: SOCIAL EQUALITY, ECONOMY, AND ENVIRONMENT
The Fourth Annual English Graduate Organization Conference
November 9-10, 2007
Western Illinois University, Macomb, IL
Keynote address: Scott Slovic, University of Nevada, Reno
The English Graduate Organization of Western Illinois University invites submissions for our fourth annual conference, "The Future of Sustainability." This year, the conference addresses the intersection of sustainability and English studies. We seek to examine the strategies and pedagogies of sustainability, and to consider the importance of confronting problems we face as global citizens.
To that end, we invite papers, presentations, and panels which address a wide variety of approaches to sustainability. Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
- Intersections of environmental sustainability and social equality as expressed in literature
- Theories and practices of ecocriticism and writing studies
- Pedagogy and sustainability in the humanities, natural sciences, and/or social sciences
- The rhetoric of sustainability: models, definitions, and contexts
- Networks, sustainability, and environmental studies
- Contemporary media representations of sustainability
- Technology and the environment
- Environmental justice
- The disciplinary identity of sustainability studies, especially in the academy
- Studies of race, gender, and class in the context of environmentalism and sustainability
- The economic value of sustainability; its perception in the contemporary marketplace and business community
- Perspectives on sustainability and cultural studies
The EGO conference intends to explore all areas of English studies, including pedagogy, cultural studies, literary studies, and critical theory. Furthermore, we welcome interdisciplinary interest and participation, and encourage scholars from all areas of the humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences who have an interest in sustainability discourse.
Please send 500-word abstracts to email@example.com by October 1, 2007. We welcome submissions by postal mail as well: English Graduate Organization, Department of English & Journalism, 1 University Circle, Macomb IL 61455-1390.
This event is co sponsored by EGO, the University Theme Committee and the Provost's Office. It is open to the entire campus.