Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
English and Journalism
Revised: Spring 2012
The name of this organization is: English Graduate Organization
The organization is a student organization at Western Illinois University.
The objectives of the organization are:
a) To promote interest in academic life and conferences.
b) To provide fellowship among students and faculty.
c) To represent student needs and wants in regard to choices affecting Western Illinois
University English graduate students.
d) To provide a forum for the presentation of innovative ideas to benefit the University
1) Any student at Western Illinois University is eligible to be an active member and may
2) Non-students may act as associate members, but may not vote or hold office.
3) The English Graduate Organization does ask that active members have a graduate level
standing and/or is applying to graduate school in the Western Illinois University English
1) Election of Officers
a) The officers of this organization are co-president, co-president, EGO liaison to faculty, records officer, and treasurer.
b) The president and co-president will hold the same amount of power and
responsibility for decisions made while they are in office.
c) Officers will be elected by written ballot, with each active member casting a vote.
A majority of votes will constitute a victory.
d) Election of officers will take place during the last week of the fall semester. The
officers will serve from spring semester through the fall semester or until he/she
graduates, whichever occurs first.
e) Officers will assume office for the period of one year.
2) Recall of Officers
a) Officers are subject to recall for malfeasance in office.
b) Recall procedures will be initiated at the request of five active members.
c) A hearing will be conducted at a regular meeting for the presentation of evidence
from all concerned parties.
d) A majority of those active members voting in a recall at the end of the hearing is
necessary to remove any office.
1) This constitution and by-laws may be amended by a 2/3 majority vote of those voting, a
quorum being present.
2) Voting on amendments must be conducted after a minimum notice of 2 weeks.
This is a not-for-profit organization.
No organization at Western Illinois University shall discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, sexual
orientation, gender identity and gender expression, religion, age, marital status, national origin, disability,
or veteran status.
1) A majority of voting members of this organization may determine reasonable dues and
fees assessed to each member at the beginning of each semester.
2) A specific member or members, designated by this organization shall be responsible for
payment in full of all debts accumulated by the organization not covered by funds on
This organization will not conspire to engage in hazing, or commit any act that causes or is likely
to cause bodily danger, physical harm, or personal degradation or disgrace resulting in physical
or mental harm to any fellow student or person attending the institution.
This organization shall comply with all university and campus policies and regulations and local,
state, and federal laws.
1. Coordinate all activities of the organization.
2. Official representative of organization.
3. Calls regular and special meetings.
4. Presides at meetings.
5. Prepares agenda for meetings.
B. EGO Liaison to Faculty
1. Inform English Faculty of Graduate Activities
2. Maintain communication between Faculty and EGO.
3. Initiate communication and activity between Faculty and EGO.
C. Records Officer
1. Maintains accurate and current information of the organization and membership.
2. Assists president and co-president to coordinate organization activities.
3. Keeps accurate minutes of meetings and forwards copies to other officers.
4. Keeps attendance records for meetings.
1. Liaison to WIU for all purpose of organizational funding.
2. Maintains accurate and current account of all organizational funds.
3. Responsible for dispensing of funds in accordance with the goals and programs
established by the English Graduate Organization.
Meetings will be open to all organization active and associate members, faculty, and
Student Programs representatives. A notice of at least1 week will be given prior to all
meetings. The meetings are to be organized and controlled by officers and active