English and Journalism
Syndy Conger presents Emily Brackman
the 2009 Conger award.
The Syndy M. Conger Essay Award
All graduate students are encouraged to apply for the Syndy M. Conger Award, which recognizes the best academic writing in our Master of Arts program. The award is given to the best formal academic paper written by a Western graduate students for a course in the Department.
The award was established in 2003 in honor of Syndy Conger, who was a professor in English & Journalism for many years.
The award includes a cash stipend.
How to apply
To apply, submit your essay to the English Graduate Office. For the 2011 award, the essay must have been written for a course taken in Spring, Summer, or Fall 2010. The application deadline is April 1, 2011 at 4:30 pm.
If you have questions about the award, contact us.
- 2010: Jessica Morton, “ESL Students’ Writing Identities: Creating a Hybrid Pedagogy”
- 2009: Emily Brackman, “Rhetorical Analysis of A Sand County Almanac”
- 2008: Kay Hamada, “Domesticating Wild Sheep: Style and Translation of Haruki Murakami’s Fiction”
- 2005: Chris Hazlett: “Prison Education and Radical Pedagogy,” written for ENG 583, Therese Trotochaud.
- 2003: Dana Bisignani (MA 2004): “The Women of Beowulf: Placing Them in the Context of the Violence of Anglo-Saxon Culture,” written for ENG 512, Margaret Sinex.