Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
English and Journalism
Spring 2006 News & Events
Read our Spring 2006 Newsletter for up-to-date news about department activities, events, retirements, and more.
5/15: Congratulations to our Spring 2006 graduates!
4/10: Welcome to Roberta Di Carmine, who will be joining our faculty in Fall 2006, as assistant professor of English specializing in film studies.
3/25: The Journalism program has scheduled a rural press workshop.
3/1: Welcome to Amy Patrick, who will be joining our faculty in Fall 2006, as assistant professor of English specializing in rhetoric and composition.
2/24: Congratulations to our departmental scholars, Sara Blair for Journalism, and Erin DeBlass for English!
- May 12-14: Commencement.
- Thu, May 11: Writing faculty potluck, Kathleen O'Donnell-Brown's place, 5:00pm.
- May 8-12: Final examinations.
- Fri, May 5: EGO potluck and barbeque, Kelly Porter's place, 6:00pm.
- Thu, May 4: Retirement commemoration for Jan Welsch and Karen Mann, Alumni House, 5:30pm.
- Thu, Apr 20: English & Journalism Awards Night, University Writing Center, 6pm.
- Wed, Apr 19: Creative Writing Awards, University Writing Center, 4:30pm.
- Wed, Apr 19: EGO meeting and elections, University Writing Center, 3pm.
- Wed, Apr 19: David Banash, "Ready-made culture: Newspapers, Advertising, and the Avant-Garde", Morgan Hall 101B, 12:00pm.
- Tue, Apr 18: Douglass Bourne will read the nonfiction essay "Another Deadhorse," as part of the campus Environmental Summit. New Salem Room, Heritage Gallery, University Union, 1:30pm. Bourne's reading will be at 3:40pm.
- Wed, Apr 12 and Thu, Apr 13: NCTE Book Sale, First floor of Simpkins, 9:00-2:00.
- Wed, Apr 12: Faculty meeting, Simpkins 014, 3:30pm.
- Wed, Apr 12: Douglass Bourne, Christine Kienol-Berlett, and Brent Robinson, all graduating MA students doing creative writing theses, will read from their work in Morgan 101B at 7:30 p.m.
- Tue, Apr 11: Writing faculty meeting, Simpkins 014, 3:30pm.
- Wed, Apr 5: Faculty meeting, Simpkins 014, 3:30pm.
- Sat, Apr 1: English Graduate Organization Creative Writing Gala, University Writing Center, 8:30am. Reading open to the public at 11:15am.
- Fri, Mar 31: Anthony Enns, "The Typing Medium: Automatism and Writing Machines in the SÃ©ance, the Clinic, and the Office", Simpkins 027, 7:00pm.
- Fri, Mar 24: Journalism Day speaker Jim Pumarlo, Nauvoo Room, University Union, 2:00pm.
- Wed, Mar 22: Faculty meeting, Simpkins 014, 3:30pm.
- Mon, Mar 20: Professional Development Seminar: Curriculum Vita Presentation and Workshop. Bradley Dilger and Joan Livingston-Webber. Simpkins 214 and 309, 4:00-7:00pm.
- Tue, Mar 7 and Thu, Mar 9: Mass communication candidate visits.
- Fri, Mar 3: Bill Knight: Fast Food Nation from the Perspective of a Journalist Brown Bag Meeting: Art Gallery, 12:00pm.
- Wed, Mar 1: Professional Development Seminar: Everything you always wanted to know about graduate school (but were afraid to ask). Chris Iwanicki and David Banash. Simpkins 214, 5:30-8:00pm.
- Wed, Mar 1: Jon Billman, Case Writer-In-Residence, reading from current work, Sandburg Theatre, University Union, 7:30pm. Reception to follow in Lincoln Room.
- Tue Feb 28: Jon Billman, Case Writer-In-Residence, "Writing and the Environment" Q&A, Simpkins 027, 4:00pm.
- Thu, Feb 23: Professional Development Seminar: Preparing the Business Résumé and Cover Letter. Simpkins 214, 5:30-8:00pm.
- Wed, Feb 22: PRSSA, Simpkins 327, 4:00pm.
- Tue, Feb 21: Final film candidate visit.
- Tue, Feb 21: English Education E-Portfolio workshop, Simpkins 214, 9:30am.
- Thu, Feb 16: NCTE meeting and resume workshop with Joan Livingston-Webber, Simpkins 014, 4:30pm.
- Thu, Feb 16: William Knox, Northern Michigan U, finalist for the Director of Honors position. Simpkins 025, 2:00pm.
- Wed, Feb 15: Western Advertising Federation meeting, Simpkins 220, 5:00pm. All majors welcome!
- Wed, Feb 15: Faculty meeting, Simpkins 014, 3:30pm.
- Week of Feb 13: Two film candidates visited.
- Wed, Feb 8: PRSSA meeting, Simpkins 327, 4:00pm.
- Wed, Feb 8: EGO meeting, UWC, 3:00pm.
- Tue, Feb 7: Faculty Colloquium: Mark Butzow, “Journamorphosis,” Writing Center, 4:00pm.
- Tue, Jan 31: Third composition & rhetoric candidate visits.
- Fri, Jan 27: Second composition & rhetoric candidate visits.
- Tue, Jan 24: First composition & rhetoric candidate visits.
- Tue Jan 17: Spring classes begin.