Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Department of Geography
GEOGRAPHY DEPARTMENT SCHOLARSHIPS AND AWARDS
Arthur G. Tillman Scholarship
The Arthur G. Tillman Memorial scholarship was established in honor of Dr. Arthur G. Tillman, who joined WIU in the summer of 1928 to head the Department of Geography.
He received B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Wisconsin. Under his leadership the department was reorganized into the Department of Geography and Geology where he taught for 29 years. He also taught Meteorology to Western’s first aviation classes during World War II, which became the foundation for this additional major. Dr. Tillman also headed the War Council which discussed and recommended ways that WIU could contribute to the war effort. He also involved himself in student life by being one of the advisors to the Phi Sigma Epsilon Fraternity.
He and his wife Florence devoted their lives to the University and the community.
This scholarship is for students majoring in Geography and Meteorology who see the importance of striving to achieve an education and then applying those skills and knowledge for the good of mankind.
Criteria . The applicant must have:
- Completed at least 30 semester hours of college credit at Western Illinois University, with an overall grade point average of 3.0 or better.
- Completed at least 9 semester hours of geography courses at Western Illinois University by the time of application, with an overall grade point average of 3.0 or better.
- Must be a declared Geography or Meteorology major.
- Must have at least one letter of recommendation from a faculty member.
- An application form is available by clicking here.
- $1000 (annually)
- Applications are due April 2
- The Geography Department Scholarship Committee, in consultation with the chairperson, will select the recipient.
Criteria for Renewal
- The scholarship can be renewed for a second year if the recipient maintains a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA and remains enrolled full-time as a Geography or Meteorology major.
- Geography Department
312 Tillman Hall
Western Illinois University
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455-1390