Modern Global History Minor
A Minor in Modern Global History is the perfect complement to a major in International Relations, Comparative Politics, Business, Agriculture, Law Enforcement and Justice Administration, Military Science, Spanish, and French, among many others.
WIU's Modern Global History Minor, which is designed to provide non-History majors with a broad understanding of the historical development of the modern world, is also excellent preparation for more informed citizenship.
Modern Global History Minor requirements (18 hours):
Take 6 History courses, including the following:
- History 106: American History since 1877 [Gen Ed/Humanities]
- History 115: World History to 1500 [Gen Ed/Humanities/Multicultural Studies] (Global Issues)
- History 116: World History since 1500 [Gen Ed/Humanities/Multicultural Studies] (Global Issues)
One of the following courses dealing with the modern history of U.S. relations in a global context:
- History 307: U.S. Foreign Relations Since 1898 (Global Issues)
- History 311: History of flight Culture [Gen Ed/Multicultural Studies] (Global Issues)
- History 312: Technology, Culture, and Society (Global)
- History 341: Latin America Since 1860 [Gen Ed/Multicultural Studies] (Global Issues)
One of the following courses dealing with the modern European history:
- History 327: Nineteenth-Century Europe
- History 328: Europe, 1914-1968
- History 329: Great-Power Diplomacy
- History 334: Britain since 1688
- History 337: The Holocaust [General Education/Multicultural Studies] (Global Issues)
- History 400: Soviet Union, 1917-1991
- History 427: French Revolution and Napoleon
- History 438: Hitler's Germany, 1919-1949
One of the following courses dealing with the modern non-Western history:
- History 344: Modern Middle East [Gen Ed/Multicultural Studies] (Global Issues)
- History 345: China
- History 346: Japan (Global Issues)
- History 347: Modern East Asia (Global Issues)
- History 349: Africa since 1800 [Gen Ed/Multicultural Studies]
- History 440: Topics in Latin American History
- History 444: Topics in Middle Eastern History
- History 485: Topics in Asian History
How do I minor in Modern Global History?
Our Department's Undergraduate Advisor , Ralph Heissinger will answer any questions you may have about our History minors. He can help you work out a History Minor that perfectly complements your major, whatever it may be. In addition to the Modern Global History Minor, the History Department also offers minors in History , Contemporary United States Studies , and Military History .
For more detailed information on these and other History courses, see the History Department's Undergraduate Courses web page.