Dr. Greg Hall
WIU Summer Teaching Stipend Award Winner
Prof. Greg Hall is one of the Department's specialists in twentieth-century America, with a particular focus on Illinois and the West. Dr. Hall offers courses on the American West [History 308], Illinois [History 422(G)], and American environmental history [History 422(G)], in addition to graduate seminars [History 510 and 511] in U.S. history.
Dr. Hall's research interests involve labor, radicalism and reform, and the environmental history of the American West. He is the author of Harvest Wobblies: The Industrial Workers of the World and Agricultural Laborers in the American West, 1905-1930 (Oregon State University Press, 2001). He also has published several essays on labor history in the West as well as presented scholarly papers at numerous conferences.
Dr. Hall has won several awards and fellowships, including the Claudius O. and Mary W. Johnson Fellowship and the Pettyjohn Research Fellowship. He has threee times been selected by the WIU Foundation for a Faculty Summer Stipend and has also won a University Research Council Award..
Prof. Hall earned his Ph.D. at Washington State University in 1999 and taught in the History Department at Idaho State University for four years before joining the History faculty at Western Illinois University in 2003. He was appointed Graduate Director of History in 2010 and is on sabbatical during the Spring 2012 semester.
- History Grad Students Present Conference Papers in Fall 2010
- Dr. Hall's Student Gives Phi Alpha Theta Conference Presentation
- Two of Dr. Hall's Grad Students Win Research Grants
- Dr. Hall's Graduate Student Presents Paper at Missouri Valley Conference
- Dr. Hall Presents Research Paper at Social Science History Association's National Conference
- Dr. Hall's Student, Clark Ramser, Wins Undergraduate Research Grant in Fall 2009
- Dr. Hall Awarded 2010 Summer Stipend by WIU Foundation
- Dr. Hall's Grad Student, David Sprung, Wins Research Grant in Fall 2009
- Dr. Hall Recognized with Professional Achievement Award by WIU
- Dr. Hall Awarded University Research Council Grant in Spring 2009
- Dr. Hall is Guest Editor for "Illinois as the West" Issue of Illinois History Teacher
- Dr. Hall Offers Environmental History Course on WIU's Quad Cities Campus in Fall 2009
- Dr. Hall's Grad Students Give Conference Presentations
- Dr. Hall Offers History of the American West in Spring 2009