Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
The History Department News
Our department has a proud tradition of excellent career preparation for students in a broad spectrum of jobs. Are you an alumnus? Please contact us and let us know what you're up to!
For previous news, view our archive.
Students and Alumni
- Graduate students in the Department of History interested in seeking a position teaching at the post-secondary level (Community Colleges and University) can now take advantage of a new service being offered by the department. Faculty members with experience will consult with alumnae on revising a CV/Resume for the demands of post-secondary teaching positions. The employment market in these posts requires a curriculum vita that is markedly different from the typical business resume. We can set up a meeting to review your current resume and discuss whether and how you might revise your CV to better suit the current market. To get started contact the department chairman Simon Cordery at 309-298-1053 or S-Cordery@wiu.edu
- Dean Susan Martinelli-Fernandez has named Senior History major Jessica Toops the College of Arts and Sciences Student Council Honorary Recognition Award recipient in the Humanities. This is the culmination of a stellar career at Western, culminating in publication of her article “The Lavender Scare: Persecution of Lesbianism During the Cold War,” in the Western Illinois Historical Review (Spring 2013). Jessica will receive the award at the CAS Spring Awards Reception, to be held in the University Union Capitol Rooms on Friday , 4 May, at 4:00 p.m. Congratulations, Jessica!
- WIU History MA student Lottie Phillips has been appointed programs assistant at the Peoria Riverfront Museum. Lottie acknowledges the value of her education in the History Department at Western, including an internship at the Western Illinois Museum in downtown Macomb, her special project work there, and career information in the History 500 course required of all graduate students, in laning this plum position.
- Eternal Rome H379/679 (3Hrs) June 6-22, 2013
- Congratulations to Jessica Toops and Justin Sims, co-winners of the 2013 Judy Ellen Thompson prize for best undergraduate paper in history. Toops wrote her paper, "The Council on African Affairs and U.S. Cold War Policy," in a course with Dr. Peter Cole. Sims wrote his paper, "Roles of Religious Belief in the American Civil War," in a course with Dr. Tim Roberts. The award is funded by Professor Bill Thompson of the WIU libraries, and named in honor of his mother.
- Congratulations to Jessica Toops, Emily Marvin, Justin Paonessa, and Lindsey Hiltunen, who presented papers at the Phi Alpha Theta Conference in Kansas City
- History Major Lauren Armstead selected by Western Illinois University as Student Laureate of The Lincoln Academy of Illinois
Faculty & Staff News
- The Golden Key International Honour Society has selected Dr. Jennifer McNabb as a winner of the 2013 Advisor Professional Development Grant, which carries a $1,000 award. In announcing the award, Golden Key Scholarships coordinator Nancy Chamlee wrote, "We are very proud to have you as a Golden Key member. On behalf of the Golden Key Board of Directors, the Volunteer Leadership, and Headquarters Staff, we extend to you our heartfelt congratulations for being selected as this year’s winner. We echo those sentiments and add our own congratulations to Dr. McNabb!
- Congratulations to Professor Lee L. Brice who has been selected as a 2014 Gertrude Smith Professor and a Co-Director of the Summer Session of the American School of Classical Studies in Athens.
- Dr. Cole publishes a new article in The Progressive
- History Prof. McNabb honored with alumni achievement award
- Dr. Mazza publishes a new article, "For God and La Patrie: Antonin Jaussen, Dominica Priest and French intelligence agent in the Middle East," First World War Studies
- Dr. Brice publishes a new book, Greek Warfare: From the Battle of Marathon to the Conquests of Alexander the Great (Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-Clio)
- Dr. Cole publishes a new essay, "Industrial Workers of the World," in the Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia
- Dr. Febe Pamonag publishes a new article, "'A Bryn Mawr School in the East': Transpacific Initiatives for Japanese Women’s Higher Education," in the November 2012 issue of the AHA's Pacific Historical Review!