Dr. Edward Woell
Two-time WIU URC Award Winner
Dr. Ed Woell, who joined the Department in the Fall of 2003, specializes in seventeenth and eighteenth-century European history. Dr. Woell periodically teaches a variety of history courses , including Western Civilization since 1648 [History 126]; Old-Regime Europe, 1648-1789 [History 326}, The Enlightenment, 1721-1784 [History 426(G)]; the French Revolution and Napolean [History 427(G)]. He also offers graduate readings seminars [History 541] on European history.
Prof. Woell's research interest is religious culture during the French revolutionary era: what ordinary people believed, the ways in which these beliefs were culturally and politically expressed, and how revolutionary events both shaped and were influenced by religious beliefs and practices. Professor Woell's book, Small-Town Martyrs & Murderers: Religious Revolution & Counterrevolution in Western France, 1774-1914, centers upon conflict resulting from the Civil Constitution of the Clergy (1790) within the small towns of several different regions in France. His scholarship has also appeared in publications such as The Catholic Historical Review, The Proceedings of the Western Society for French History, and The Proceedings of the Consortium on Revolutionary Europe.
Dr. Woell's numerous awards and grants include two WIU University Research Council Awards. He was selected by WIU as one of its two nominees for a 2009 National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Fellowship. When not in the archives or in class, Dr Woell enjoys bicycling on area county roads and occasionally playing a mean game of trivia.
- Dr. Woell Produces New Blog on History
- Dr. Woell Nominated by WIU for NEH Summer Stipend
- Dr. Woell's Honors Student Wins Writing Award
- Dr. Woell Offers Course on French Revolution in Spring 2010
- Dr. Woell Awarded University Research Council Grant in Spring 2009
- Dr. Woell Offers General Honors Seminar on the Enlightenment in Fall 2009
- Dr. Woell Makes Conference Presentation at Society for French Historical Studies
- Dr. Woell Makes Presentation to Teachers at Spring Grant Workshop
- Dr. Woell Makes Presentation for Teachers at DuPage Valley Social Studies Conference
- Dr. Woell Offers Course on 17th and 18th-Century Europe
- Dr. Woell Nominated by WIU for National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship
- Dr. Woell Speaks at Spring 2009 History Course Fair
- Dr. Woell Coordinates Successful Annual History Conference