Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Department of Mathematics
Math - Skills for a Complex World
Various concepts of mathematics are useful to an increasing number of disciplines in which quantification and logical order are essential.
The Department of Mathematics provides course work for a major in Mathematics with options in mathematics, and Teacher Education (for Licensure as secondary teachers). Requirements are sufficiently flexible to allow for individual interests and some specialization based upon career goals. Minors are offered in Mathematics and Statistics.
A concentration in mathematics which will meet the Illinois State Board of Education endorsement in mathematics for upper middle school and junior high teachers is also available for elementary education majors. Service courses are taught for students majoring in business, the physical sciences, and pre-engineering. Courses are available to meet the University General Education requirements.
Occupational fields open to students who have completed one of the department's programs include;
- mathematical analysis in industry, government, teaching, computer-related employment, data analysis and other statistical work
- mathematical aspects of business and finance
Americans Rate Math Most Valuable Subject in School! See the poll conducted by Gallup.com.
- Wednesday, April 23 at 2:00pm in Stipes Hall room 121 - "Voting in Highly Anonymous Environments" by visiting lecturer, Professor Vincent Conitzer of Duke University.
- Thursday, April 24 at 3:45pm in Morgan Hall room 101A - "Mathematical Models: Uses, abuses, and non-uses" by visiting lecturer, Professor Andrew Odlyzko of the University of Minnesota.
- Help Centers for students enrolled in math courses
- Option to bypass Math 100
- Math Competency Requirement - how the requirement can be met
- Placement - how placements are made into math courses
- Which General Education Math Course Should I Take? - advice on general education math courses
Textbook lists - textbooks required and/or recommended for math courses
- About the Major
- Apply Online
- Brochure (pdf)
- Undergraduate Research