Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Sociology & Anthropology
Tawnya J. Adkins Covert
Ph.D., Purdue University, 2001
Professor of Sociology
Office: Morgan Hall 417B
Phone: (309) 298-1372
Email: Dr. Adkins Covert
- Soc 100 Introduction to Sociology
- Soc 200 Social Problems
- Soc 232 Research Methods I
- Soc 332 Research Methods II
- Soc 360 Gender and Society
- Soc 370 The American Family
- Soc 415 Social Stratification
- Soc 462G Political Sociology
- Soc 535 Qualitative Research Methods
- Soc 599 Seminars in Consumer Culture and Media Sociology
Areas of Specialization
Political Sociology, Media Sociology, Consumer Culture, Stratification, Methods
- Adkins Covert, Tawnya. 2011. Manipulating Images: World War II Mobilization of Women through Magazine Advertising. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
- Adkins Covert, Tawnya and Philo C. Wasburn. 2009. Media Bias? A Comparative Study of Time, Newsweek, National Review, and Progressive Coverage of Domestic Social Issues, 1975-2000. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
- Adkins Covert, Tawnya and Philo C. Wasburn. 2007. "Measuring Media Bias: A Content Analysis of Time and Newsweek Coverage of Domestic Social Issues, 1975-2000." Social Science Quarterly. 88(3): 690-706.
- Adkins Covert, Tawnya and Philo C. Wasburn. 2007. "Information Sources and the Coverage of Social Issues in Partisan Publications: A Content Analysis of 25 years of the Progressive and the National Review."”Mass Communication and Society. 10(1):67-94.
- Adkins Covert, Tawnya. “A Review of Quantitative Methods in Content Analysis: 1990-2004.” Midwest Sociological Society Annual Meeting, Des Moines, Iowa, April 2009.
- Adkins Covert, Tawnya and Philo Wasburn. “Information Sources in Partisan Publications.” American Sociological Association Meeting, Montreal, Canada, August 2006.
- Adkins Covert, Tawnya. 2003. "Consumption and Citizenship during World War II: Product Advertisements in Women's Magazines." Journal of Consumer Culture. 3(3): 315-342.
- Adkins Covert, Tawnya, Denise Ferguson, Selene Phillips and Philo Wasburn. 2000. "News In My Backyard: Media and Democracy in an 'All American' City." The Sociological Quarterly 41(2).
- Grauerholz, Elizabeth and Tawnya Adkins Covert. 1997. "Twenty-Five Exceptional Educational Videos for Sociology of Marriage and Family Courses." Teaching Sociology. 25:338-352.
American Sociological Association, Midwest Sociological Association