Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Sociology & Anthropology
Ph.D., University of Chicago, 1998
Associate Professor of Anthropology
- Office: Currens Hall 508
- Phone: (309) 298-1108
- E-mail: PK-Anderson@wiu.edu
- Anth 110 Introduction to Cultural Anthropology
- Anth 111 Introduction to Physical Anthropology & Archaeology
- Anth 249 Native North American Cultures
- Anth 320 New World Archaeology: North America
- Anth 321 New World Archaeology: Central & South America
- Anth 325 Archaeological laboratory methods
- Anth 326 Archaeological field methods
- Anth 330 Sex and Gender in Archaeology
- Anth 410G Anthrozoology (Recipient of the 2003 Humane Society of the United States Animals & Society Course Award)
Areas of Specialization
Anthrozoology, Archaeology (North & Mesoamerica), Ancient Maya Civilization
- 2011 Pigeon. By Barbara Allen. Review. Anthrozoös 24(3):333-336.
- 2010 Human Bird Interactions. Chapter 2. In The Welfare of Domestic Fowl and Other Captive Birds, edited by Ian Duncan (University of Guelph) and Penny Hawkins (RSPCA). Animal Welfare Volume 9. Springer.
- 2008 Human Bird Interactions. Chapter 4. In Welfare of Captive Birds, edited by Ian Duncan (University of Guelph) and Penny Hawkins (RSPCA). Springer (Europe) Animal Welfare Series.
- 2007 With Lawrence A. Conrad. “An extensive private collection from the Lawrenz Gun Club site: a poorly understood Middle Mississippian town site in the Central Illinois River Valley.” Podium presentation. Presented to the 2007 Midwest Archaeological Conference. October 4-6, 2007, Notre Dame University, Notre Dame, Indiana.
- 2007 Parrot. By Paul Carter. Review. Anthrozoös 20(1): 81-83.
- 2006 The Human Avian Bond: An Ethnography of a Veterinary Clinic. Podium Presentation. Presented to the 15th Annual International Society for Anthrozoology: Exploring Human-Animal Relations, October 5-6, Barcelona, Spain. Based on research accomplished with my URC Grant
- 2005 Further Explorations Into The Avian-Human Bond. Podium presentation. Presented to the 14th Annual International Society for Anthrozoology Conference, July 11-12, 2005, Niagara Falls, N.Y.
- 2004. Photography’s Other Histories. By Christopher Pinney and Nicolas Peterson (eds). Review. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 10(3): 725-726.
- 2003 A Bird in the House: An Anthropological Perspective on Companion Parrots. Society & Animals 11(4): 393-418
- 2003 “Avian Wellness: The Proper Care of Birds in Institutional Settings. Paper presented to the 12th Annual Conference of the International Society for Anthrozoology, Kent State University, Canton, OH. With Debbie Coultis and Kenneth R. Welle.
- 2001 "Terminal Classic Maya Occupation of Chichen Itza: More evidence from Yula." Paper presented at the 65th Annual Meeting of the Society for American Archaeology in New Orleans, April 18-22, 2001.
- 2001 "The Social Dimensions of Avian Companionship." Paper presented at the American Sociological Association 2001 Annual Meeting. August 18-21, Anaheim.
ISAZ (International Society for Anthrozoology), Society for American Archaeology, American Anthropological Association, Society & Animals Forum, Associate Editor of Anthrozoös, the peer reviewed journal published by ISAZ (International Society for Anthrozoology), International Association of Avian Trainers & Educators