Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Sociology & Anthropology
Laurian BowlesPhD, Temple University, 2011
Assistant Professor of Anthropology and African American Studies
- Office: Morgan Hall 232D
- Phone: (309) 298-2483
- E-mail: Professor Bowles
Areas of SpecializationEthnographic and Indigenous Photography, Gender and Transnational Feminism, Urbanization in Africa, Phenomenology and Anthropology of the Senses
- Anth 110 Introduction to Cultural Anthropology
- ANTH 201 World Culture Regions (sub-Saharan Africa)
- ANTH 419 Anthropological Theory
- ANTH 475 Visual Anthropology
- ANTH 489 Anthropology of Globalization
- 2011 The Value of the Visual: Collaborative Fieldwork and Feminist Ethnography with African Market Women. LOVA: Netherlands Association for Gender Studies and Feminist Anthropology Conference. Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- 2009 Imaging Migrant Women and the Embodied Market: Accra, Ghana. Expressions of the Body: Representations in African Text and Images. Oxford: Peter Lang Publishing Group, 313-336.
- 2008 “Conducting Research Abroad for Foreign Students” Studying Abroad in the Republic of Ghana: Opportunities and Challenges. The Aya Institution for Intercultural Awareness and Development. Accra, Ghana. April 17-20.
- 2006 “Urban Griottes and the Politics of Place: Hip Hop in Accra, Ghana”. Southwest/Texas Popular Culture/American Culture Association meeting. Albuquerque, NM.
- 2005 Panel Organizer. "Unbound Identities, Imagined Possibilities and the Global Realities of Hip Hop." American Anthropological Association meeting. Washington, DC. Nov 17-21.
- 2005 “Oh Chale, listen: Do y’all like it? A Phenomenological Future for Ghanaian Hip-Hop”. American Anthropological Association meeting. Washington, DC. Nov. 17-21.
- 1999 A Brief Discussion about the Migration of African Americans from United States to Canada from 1782-1850. Ronald McNair Research Journal, 6.
American Anthropological Association; Association of Black Anthropologists; Association of Feminist Anthropology; Society for Urban, National and Transnational/Global Anthropology; Society for Visual Anthropology.
Editor for Envision Imprint ( http://www.envisionimprint.org )