Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Sociology & Anthropology
Ph.D., North Carolina State University, 1997
Associate Professor of Sociology
Office: Morgan Hall 421
Phone: (309) 298-1457
Email: Dr. Hironimus-Wendt
- Soc 100 Introduction to Sociology
- Soc 300 Minority Peoples
- Soc 330 Bureaucracy and Formal Organization
- Soc 333 Social Theory
- Soc 415 Social Stratification
- Soc 461 Educational Sociology
- Soc 525 Advanced Studies in Social Inequality
- Soc 599 Sociology Graduate Seminar: Sociology of Education
- Soc 612 Seminar in the Instruction of Undergraduate Sociology
Areas of Specialization
- Teaching and Learning, Social Inequality, Sociology of Education, Labor Relations
- Hironimus-Wendt, Robert J. and Doreen A. Dedjoe. (forthcoming). “Gated Communities and Glass Ceilings: Revealing Discrimination in Higher Education Labor Markets.” In Kristine De Welde and Andi Stepnick, Disrupting the Culture of Silence: Women Navigating Hostility and Making Change in the Academy.
- Hironimus-Wendt, Robert J., and Lora Ebert Wallace. 2009. “The Sociological Imagination and Social Responsibility.” Teaching Sociology 37(1):76-88.
- Hironimus-Wendt, Robert J. 2008. “The Human Costs of Worker Displacement.” Humanity and Society 32(1):71-93.
- Hironimus-Wendt, Robert J. 2008. “Advice from Displaced Workers on Negotiating Unemployment.” Social Policy 38(3): 43-50, 59.
- Hironimus-Wendt, Robert J., and Fred Spannaus. 2007. “The Social Costs of Worker Displacement.” Social Policy 37: 83-89.
- Hironimus-Wendt, Robert J. 2005. “Promoting Humanism Through Service Learning in Sociology Courses.” In Martin D. Schwartz and Glenn A. Goodwin (editors), Professing Humanist Sociology (5th edition). Washington, DC: American Sociological Association.
- Hironimus-Wendt, Robert J. 2005. “Introduction: What is Service Learning?” In JoAnn DeFiore, Morten G. Ender and Brenda Marsteller Kowalewski (editors), Service-Learning and Undergraduate Sociology: Research, Syllabi, and Instructional Materials (3rd edition). Washington, DC: American Sociological Association.
- Hironimus-Wendt, Robert J. 2008. “On Surviving Job Loss.” Paper presented at the annual meetings of the Midwest Sociological Society, St. Louis, MO, Mar. 2008.
- Hironimus-Wendt, Robert J. 2007. “Advice from Displaced Workers on Surviving Job Loss.” Paper presented at the joint annual meetings of the Midwest Sociological Society and the North Central Sociological Association, Chicago, IL, Apr. 2007.
- Hironimus-Wendt, Robert J. 2006. “Teaching Sociology for Humanist Outcomes: Assessing the Impact of Service Learning.” Paper presented at the Association for Humanist Sociology meetings, St. Louis, MO, Nov. 2006.
- Hironimus-Wendt, Robert J. 2005. “Writing and Research for Publication.” Presentation delivered at the United Negro College Fund Special Programs Corporation (UNCFSP) meetings. New Orleans, LA, Mar. 4-6, 2005.
- American Sociological Assocation, Midwestern Sociological Society, Association of Humanist Sociology, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society