Sociology & Anthropology
Ph.D. University of Missouri-Columbia, 2005
Associate Professor of Sociology
- Office: Morgan Hall 406
- Phone: (309) 298-1381
- E-mail: PJ-Mcginty@wiu.edu
- Soc 100 Introduction to Sociology
- Soc 320 Sociology of Work
- Soc 333 Classical Sociological Theory
- Soc 334 Contemporary Sociological Theory
- Soc 461(G) Educational Sociology
- Soc 562 Graduate Seminar: Complex Organization
- Soc 599 Graduate Seminar: Symbolic Interactionism
Areas of Specialization
- Sociological Theory (Classical & Contemporary), Symbolic Interactionism, Sociology of Education, Complex Organizations, Occupations & Work, Sociology of Policy
- Burns, Tom R., Hall, Peter M., and Patrick J.W. McGinty. 2013. "Conceptualizing Power and Meta-Power: Causalities, Mechanisms, and Constructions." Pp. 19-82 in T. R. Burns and P. M. Hall, eds., The Meta-Power Paradigm: Impacts and Transformation of Agents, Institutions, and Social Systems. NY: Peter Lang.
- Hall, Peter M. and Patrick J.W. McGinty. 2013. "Social Organization Across Space and Time." Pp. 421-438 in T. R. Burns and P. M. Hall, eds., The Meta-Power Paradigm: Impacts and Transformation of Agents, Institutions, and Social Systems. NY: Peter Lang.
- McGinty, Patrick J.W. 2011. "Secondary Groups." Pg. 524 in G. Ritzer and J.M. Ryan, eds., The Concise Encyclopedia of Sociology. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing.
- McGinty, Patrick J.W., Burns, Tom R., and Peter M. Hall. 2010. "Meta-Power," in G. Ritzer, editor, The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing.
- McGinty, Patrick J.W. 2009. "Teachers and Teaching During Educational Restructuring and Reforms." Pp. 1135-1152 in L. J. Saha and A. G. Dworkin, eds., International Handbook of Research on Teachers and Teaching. NY: Springer.
- McGinty, Patrick J.W. 2006. “Secondary Groups,” in George Ritzer, editor, Encyclopedia of Sociology. Oxford: Blackwell.
- McGinty, Patrick J.W. 2005. “The Dynamic Past: History, Symbolic Interactionism and the Study of Social Organization.” American Sociological Association, August 13-16, 2005, Philadelphia, PA.
- Hall, Peter M. and Patrick J.W. McGinty. 2002. “Social Organization Across Space and Time: The Policy Process, Mesodomain Analysis, and Breadth of Perspective,” in Sing C. Chew and David Knottnerus, eds., Structure, Culture, and History: Recent Issues in Social Theory. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Hall, Peter M. and Patrick J.W. McGinty. 2002. “Restructuring.” Pp. 495-500 in David L. Levinson, Peter W. Cookson, Jr., and Alan R. Sadovnik, eds., Education and Sociology: An Encyclopedia. NY: RoutledgeFalmer.
- Hall, Peter M. and Patrick J.W. McGinty. 1997. “Policy as the Transformation of Intentions: Producing Program from Statute.” The Sociological Quarterly 38: 439-467.
American Sociological Association, American Educational Research Association, Society for the Study of Symbolic Interaction, Midwest Sociological Society
Dr. McGinty joined the Department in 2005.