Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Sociology & Anthropology
Ph.D., University of Florida, 2000
Professor of Anthropology
Office: Morgan Hall 408
Phone: (309) 298-1264
- ANTH 110 Introduction to Cultural Anthropology
- ANTH 249 Native North American Cultures
- ANTH 305 Applied Anthropological Methods
- ANTH/WS 315 Gender & Anthropology
- ANTH/WS 395 Gender, Race & the Environment
- ANTH 420 Cultural Feast: The Anthropology of Food
- ANTH 425 Culture and Catastrophe: The Anthropology of Disaster
Areas of Specialization
Gender and the Environment, Disaster Research, Local Food Systems, Applied Methods, Marshall Islands, Ecuador, Dominican Republic
- 2009 S. Martinelli-Fernandez, L. Baker-Sperry, and H. McIlvaine-Newsad, (Eds.). "Interdisciplinary Views on Abortion: Essays from Philosophical, Sociological, Anthropological, Political, Health and Other Perspectives." McFarland Press.
- 2008 H. McIlvaine-Newsad, C. D. Merrett, W. Maakestad, and P. McLaughlin. Slow Food Lessons in the Fast Food Midwest. Southern Rural Sociology. 23(1) 72-93.
- 2007 P. Ingles and H. McIlvaine-Newsad. Any Port in the Storm: The Effects of Hurricane Katrina on Two Fishing Communities in Louisiana. NAPA Bulletin 28: Anthropology and Fisheries Management in the United States: Methodology for Research Issue. 28:69-86.
- 2007 G. Rands, B. Ribbens, D. Casagrande, and H. McIlvaine-Newsad. Envisioning an ecologically sustainable society: An ideal type and an application. Pp. 22-59 in S. Sharma, M. Starik and B. Husted (Eds.), Organizations and the Sustainability Mosaic: Crafting Long-Term Ecological and Societal Solutions, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- 2003 H. McIlvaine-Newsad, M. Dougherty, and A. Sullivan. Operationalizing the Household Timeline. Field Methods. Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 305-317.
- 2003 H. McIlvaine-Newsad. Ojalá que lluevé algo en el campo: Cultural Influences of Development. International Journal of Agricultural Resources, Governance and Ecology, Vol. No. 2, pp. 153-166.
Society for Applied Anthropologist (Fellow), National Women’s Studies Association, International Farming Systems Association