Undergraduate Catalog


Participants in the Title IV Federal Financial Aid under the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, are required to direct students to a state agency for assistance with unresolved complaints. Related regulations require all Title IV participating institutions, regardless of the origin of their state authorization to operate, to comply with state agency complaint process and to communicate such information publicly. Under Federal rule 34 CFR §600.9 and §668.43(b), Title IV eligible institutions must make available to students or prospective students, upon request, a copy of the documents describing the institution’s accreditation and state authorization. The institution must provide its students or prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accreditor and the state.

State of Illinois: The Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE) maintains the master plan which guides development of the state’s system of public and private colleges and universities, and it maintains an online complaint system at complaints.ibhe.org for registering institutional complaints. This website includes step-by-step instructions and key information regarding the complaint process.

State of Iowa: Western Illinois University is certified by the State of Iowa to provide educational certificates and degree programs in Museum Studies and distance education in Iowa. In serving students from Iowa, the Iowa College Student Aid Commission maintains a system (form available at iowacollegeaid.gov/content/forms-and-applications) to document concerns, questions, and complaints related to post-secondary educational institutions.