College of Business & Technology
Welcome to Advising for the College of Business and Technology
Specialized, High-Quality Mentoring for Your Academic Success
The College of Business and Technology at Western Illinois University provides academic advising for students giving them an opportunity to build a relationship with their advisor for the purpose of gaining assistance in planning their educational career, learning the skills needed for academic success and discovering how to access the variety of resources and services available to them on campus. The College of Business and Technology is dedicated to the concept of providing full-time professional advisors for all majors in the College.
Academic advising is a collaborative educational process whereby students and their advisors are partners in meeting the essential learning outcomes, ensuring student academic success and outlining the steps for achievement of the students’ personal, academic and career goals. This advisor/student partnership requires participation and involvement of both the advisor and the student and is developed over the student’s entire educational experience at the university. You can learn about your advising experience in the College of Business and Technology at Western Illinois University by viewing What to Expect from Your Advising Experience.
Please contact the appropriate advising office for advising appointments. You are required to meet with your advisor each semester in order to register for you classes each term.
Acceptance as a Bachelor of Business major requires the completion of the following:
- At least 60 semester hours earned
- With a cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.50
- And the completion of ACCT 201 and 202, ECON 231 and 232, MATH 137, and STAT 171 (DS 203 is also acceptable for the statistics requirement, but does not count in General Education).
Limit on Business Credits:
- Students who are not fully declared as Bachelor of Business majors may enroll in a maximum of 29 total hours of coursework with the following prefixes: ACCT, BAT, B L, DS, FIN, HRM, MGT, MKTG, OM, and SCM.
- Pre-business students who have earned 60 hours, but are otherwise ineligible to declare a business major, will not be allowed to register for business coursework in excess of 29 hours.
- Exceptions to this rule require the permission of the Dean of the College of Business and Technology.