It used to be that a hard-working student could earn enough working full-time during the summers and part-time during the school year to pay for a college education. That's seldom the case today. An in-state freshman or sophomore taking a full load at WIU can expect to incur expenses over $9,000. Special laboratory costs and field trips are added expenses. For more students each year, financial aid is essential for them to continue their education.
Our department scholarship program is a vital component of our vision to prepare students to be innovative, competent and critical thinking professionals who provide leadership and service within the work place and in a diverse ever-changing environment. We are proud of our department scholars and without the scholarship program students who are capable of the type of leadership to which we aspire might not have the opportunity to reach their potential.
The Dietetics, Fashion Merchandising, and Hospitality Department has several established scholarships. They are all in need of donations to continue to be able to grant worthy students much needed scholarships. If you would like to set up a named scholarship or contribute to the department through a life insurance policy or other planned gift, contact the WIU Foundation, 309-298-1861.
Scholarships are also available from outside the department. The College of Education and Human Services offers a Dean's Non-Traditional Student Scholarship (included in list below) and the Home Economics Foundation of the Peoria Area (for students from Peoria, Tazewell, or Woodford Counties) also offers a scholarship. The list of current departmental scholarships includes:
- VAMO - Visual and Apparel Merchandising Organization
- SNF - School Nutrition Foundation Scholarship
- Marian Sympson Internship Scholarship
- Charlene G. Callison DFMH Scholarship
- Marion P. Callison Nontraditional Scholarship
- Chef John Scholarship
- Julie Clayton Family and Consumer Sciences Scholarship
- Mabel Emory Fashion Merchandising Scholarship
- Lila S. Linder Family and Consumer Sciences Scholarship
- Roscoe G. Linder Family and Consumer Sciences Scholarship
- Nancy Neeley Family and Consumer Sciences Scholarship
- Sarah Miner Family and Consumer Sciences Scholarship
- KONu Honor Society Scholarship
- COEHS Nontraditional Dean's Scholarship
- Margaret Lavery Scholarship
- Dorothy Holland Scholarship
- Nola and Lavern McEntire Scholarship
- Sodexo Scholarship