Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
College of Education & Human Services
Lesson 1: Introduction to the English Proficiency Standards
This lesson will be referring to the WIDA English Language Proficiency Standards. If you do not have a copy of
those go the the Getting Started section in the Overview for information about where you can access the needed material.
The standards are available in grade level clusters download the one applicable to your needs.
We want to test your prior knowledge of the WIDA English Language Proficiency Standards. Using the table below rate your knowledge of the listed terms. We have provided the table for you to download.
Rate your knowledge of these terms Before and After reading:
I Know - I think I Know - I Don't Know
After you complete the "Before Reading Rating", read the “Introduction” pages at the beginning of the ELP Standards document you downloaded. Then complete the "After Reading Rating"
To help illustrate the key ideas in the English Language Proficiency Standards, complete this graphic organizer with information found in the Introduction:
1. There are FIVE English Language Proficiency Standards.
2. Each of the standards are represented in each of the FOUR domains.
3. There are different standards for each of FIVE grade level clusters.
4. There are SIX levels of proficiency for each grade level cluster.
5. The Performance definitions encompass THREE criteria.
After completing the graphic organizer, click here to view a PDF of the answer key.
These answers are greatly simplified.