Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
College of Education & Human Services
The Illinois State Board of Education has specific instructions for identifying students of a non-English background. These rules are updated regularly to reflect changes in both state and federal laws regarding programs for English Language Learners.
Please read this excerpt from the rules, which can be viewed online as well at: http://isbe.net/rules/archive/pdfs/228ARK.pdf
By completing this course, the participant will be able to:
Illinois State Board of Education Laws
• access to Illinois State Board of Education Laws regarding bilingual education.
Frequently Asked Questions
• review FAQs about regarding ELLs in Illinois’ Schools.
Access for ELLs
• understand basic components of the ACCESS test for ELLs.
• understand the English language proficiency levels of the ACCESS test for ELLs.
• understand process for becoming certified to administer the ACCESS test for ELLs. (Note: Only certified teachers can obtain the IEN from ISBE)
• demonstrate understanding of W-APT