Graduate Reading Specialist Program
Features of the Program
- The Reading Specialist Graduate Program is designed for teachers who wish to increase their knowledge and skills in delivering reading instruction to students in grades K-12 and become leaders in improving reading instruction in their school districts.
- Teachers applying for this program must hold an appropriate teaching certificate.
- The program requires a minimum of 33 semester hours.
- Candidates enroll in reading coursework spanning K-12 grade levels.
- Both a K-6 and a 7-12 practicum are required. These practicums take place in after school programs in school sites arranged by department faculty.
- Teachers completing this program are eligible to apply for a K-12 reading specialist endorsement in Iowa or Illinois.
- To earn the K-12 reading specialist endorsement in Illinois or Iowa, individuals must have relevant teaching experiences.
- Courses are also available for teachers seeking the Illinois reading teacher or the Iowa reading endorsements.
- The majority of courses required in the program are offered in a face to face format.
- Candidates can complete the reading specialist program in Macomb, Springfield, or the Quad Cities.