by: Michael Crumm, Interactive Multimedia Lab Assistant
Do you need an online web presence for your class, organization or club? Are you looking for an easy-to-use tool that gets the job done quick and painlessly? Look no further than Weebly, a website creation tool with simplicity in mind that still comes packed with tons of features! Oh, and it’s FREE!!!
Weebly is a San Francisco based company that was founded in 2006. They provide a web-based, website creation tool that seeks to make publishing web content as easy as possible. They are a Y-Combinator startup and were listed as one of TIME Magazine’s Top 50 websites of 2007.
Weebly provides their website creation services free of charge, but to add more advanced features, there is a small fee.
Simple Setup, Robust Features
Website creation can be a complicated task, but with the help of an application like Weebly, even someone with very little computer savvy can make a great looking website. Simply create an account at http://www.weebly.com to get started. Once you have an account created, you can begin to develop your site. Adding items to the page is as simple as dragging and dropping the type of content item you want into your page. You can create as many pages as you like, and link them together to create a full web presence for your organization.
Basic Features – Basic features include items like paragraphs, paragraphs with a picture, pictures, titles, divider bars, etc. These simple items create the basis for your page layout.
Multimedia – Upload pictures directly to weebly to create an online photo gallery. If you’re already using Flickr, you can use the built-in Flick integration to display your photos. You can also upload files and embed them for download, or even embed a Google Map to show off a location or destination. YouTube videos can also be embedded directly into your pages.
More – Forums, contact forms, surveys and polls are all at your disposal, either directly through the weebly site or with integration with another tool, such as PollDaddy.
We’ve touched on most of the features available through Weebly in this list, but there are still more to discover. Consider evaluating Weebly for your simple web design needs.
Weebly’s entire website creation process takes place in the browser, so there are no files to upload. The changes you make are saved as you make them, and once you’re happy with your site, all you need to do is press the large, orange “Publish” button. That’s it!
by: Amanda Richards, Interactive Multimedia Lab Assistant
The cool things that you can add to your website by simply finding the icon, also called elements, and dragging it into your work space on the bottom part of your screen.
Cool things you can add and where to find them:
In Multimedia tab:
- Add a collection of pictures to your site. You can choose how large they are and add borders captions and links. For more support click the following link: http://support.weebly.com/support/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=39
- Upload files from your computer right on to your site so users can easily find and download files. http://support.weebly.com/support/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=35
- Upload flash .swf files
- Show map with surrounding streets.
Flickr Photo Slideshow
- Used for updated feed on what is going on with your website
- Customize your website by using HTML codes and adding whatever you like to your page. http://support.weebly.com/support/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=25
- Creates straight line to add divisions to your page
- Create your own forum to add to your page in order to bring in readers or customers browsing your page.
- Allow browsers to see when you are available and make appointments with you right over the web.
- Create your own poll from the website poll daddy to post polls about different things on your page.
- If the browser wishes for you the manager of the site to get in contact with them they can fill out a contact form so you can get back to them quickly and effectively. http://support.weebly.com/support/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=18