Blogging by Email
Posterous makes blogging simple and effectiveOver the last several years, blogs have become a popular means of sharing information on the Internet. Groups and individuals can use blogs to share information in a more efficient way than email. While there are many free blogging services available, by far the easiest to use is Posterous. Posterous was founded in 2008 by a former Apple employee with the intent of creating a blogging service that was as easy as possible to use. With Posterous, if you know how to send an email, you can maintain a blog.The Interactive Multimedia Lab will host two workshops on Posterous. February 17th at 11:00a.m. and February 19th at 2:00p.m..
The ease of Posterous lies in its simple setup process. To get started, just send an email to email@example.com. The subject of your email will be the title of your first blog post. The body of your email becomes the content of the post. You should receive a confirmation message shortly thereafter including your temporary URL and a link to create your account. Creating an account gives you access to make your blog private, add additional contributors to your blog, change the blog’s theme and modify your blog’s URL (web address).
Content made easy
Embedding content into your post is just as simple. You can attach images and audio files to your email and they will be automatically embedded into your post. You can even embed videos from sources like youtube.com and vimeo.com simply by including the URL in your email.
If your blog needs privacy, Posterous can accommodate. You can password protect your blog so only members of your class or organization can access the content.
Autopost keeps everyone informed
Keeping up with social networking can be hard. Trying to post content to each and every site can quickly become a tedious process. Luckily, Posterous provides the ability to autopost content to other social networks like facebook.com and twitter.com. When you update your blog, Posterous will automatically notify your other social networks, making sharing your content as simple as clicking ‘Send’ on that email.
If you’ve been interested in incorporating a blog into your classroom or organization, but do not have the time to learn a new piece of complicated software, consider Posterous for your next project. It’s as easy as sending an email! Make an appointment today to visit the IMM Lab in Horrabin 104 to get started with Posterous!
Adding photos to Posterous:
- When emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, click add attachment.
- You may add as many photos as your email allows.
- Once you have sent the email the pictures will be resized and formatted in order for the most effective blogging.
- If you do have more than one picture, it will create a gallery like the one seen below.
- As you can see above, when your mouse passes over the picture at the bottom of the screen the option for users to download your gallery becomes available.
- Another way to upload images like the ones seen above is from your mobile phone by simply emailing the pictures from your iPhone, blackberry, palm or Windows Mobile device.
- Another usable feature is that when you click on one of the pictures in the slide show it is brought to focus on the screen.
- Once you have added the pictures you can tag and name the gallery on your blog.
- You can even download pictures directly from your camera. When you add an attachment and hit browse you will need to find the chosen device (ex. Digital camera, scanner, thumbdrive) in my case it is “camera 1”.
- Next, click on the files until you find the picture on the camera that you wish to use and click Open.
- Click the Attach button to attach the selected pictures to your email and when you send your email it will upload those attached photos to your blog.