Top Navigation

Header

Facilities

Garwood Hall

2D Art Studios

Garwood Hall was built in 1914. From 1917 to 1959, the College Art Museum occupied Garwood Hall. Garwood was eventually renovated and became the home of the Department of Art. Garwood Hall's chief virtue are its large, natural light studio spaces.

Studios housed in Garwood are:

  • Drawing
  • Graphic Design - Graphic Design and Digital Photography
  • Printmaking
  • Painting
  • Art Education
  • Slide Library
  • Seminar room
  • Woodworking Studio

Heating Plant Annex (HPA)

3D Art Studios

Studios for ceramics, metals, and sculpture are located in the Heating Plant Annex (HPA). The HPA is located to the north of Garwood Hall. Vast workspaces are the chief virtue of the subterranean chambers of the Heating Plant Annex. (ADD) The 3-D Art studios in the Heating Plant Annex (HPA) was renovated this summer at a cost of $1.7 million to comply with accreditation requirements. The space houses art studios for ceramics, sculpture, metals and woodworking. Changes to the space included addressing ADA accessibility issues, the installation of new storage lockers, new lighting and paint and the addition of windows to enhance the lighting. Renovations also included the installation of new air handling systems to improve ventilation in the spaces and to comply with safety mandates. This facility houses a new Plasma cutter, realigned wood shop that features a 10” SawStop Industrial Cabinet Saw, new ceramic studio spaces with new glaze and clay mixing studios, and a updated Metals facilities.

Housed in HPA are:

  • Metals
  • Sculpture
  • Ceramics

Tillman Hall

Art History

Art History classes and the Introduction to Art meet in an electronic classroom in Tillman Hall 212, a four-story yellow brick building to the west of the University Art Gallery. Built in 1956, Tillman Hall is currently home to the Departments of Geography and Geology, the Geology Museum, the Western Survey Research Center, and the Visual Productions Center which is the campus photographic service.

The University Gallery

The building that houses the University Art Gallery originally served as the campus heating plant. It was built in 1902 and converted into an art gallery in 1980. A variety of offices and departments occupied the space over the years, but for more than two decades the building has been utilized as the University Art Gallery.