Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
- Eligibility for trip with enrollment in MUS 113, 116 or 117 for fall semester, 2013
- Trip Dates: March 13-23, 2014
- Tentative Itinerary:
March 13 Travel to Salvador, Bahia, Brasil via Chicago ORD
March 14 Arrive – welcome event in World Cup Stadium
March 15 Performances and workshops in Salvador
March 16 Charter Cruise to private island
March 17 Begin 3-day humanitarian trip to the interior of Bahia, collaborating, teaching, and performing
March 20 Return to Salvador – day off at beaches
March 21 Salvador Wind & Percussion Festival with Universidade Federal da Bahia
March 22 Conclude Wind and Percussion Festival with mass band performances
March 23 Travel home to Illinois
- Trip Cost $1,500 $750 (WIU Bands sponsoring 50% of students’ projected costs)
- o http://vimeo.com/62703139 (Description of event)
- o http://vimeo.com/64511322 (WIU Bands/Bahia collaboration documentary, 2012)
- o http://orsbrasil.com (World Wind & Percussion Festival Website) ~ new site
- o http://onthebeatbrazil.wordpress.com (2010 Blog; 49,000+ “hits”)
(“Brasil” tab: we will post current information)
- Contract located here, along with staggered payment details
What you need to do this summer:
- Talk this over with parents. Direct them to links/websites for information.
- Talk with HS director/relatives: try to obtain donated instruments and bring back to WIU
Obtain a US Passport:
- o If you have a current passport, it must have expiration later than September 24, 2014.
- Do NOT obtain a Brasilian Visa yet! We will obtain as a group, 90 days before be leave.
- Go to WIU Bands website and fill out your contract. Mail back to WIU or bring in August.
- Save money! Wash cars! Work for neighbors! Try and realize this huge opportunity!
- Naperville Central and John Hersey High Schools will travel with us.
- Australian and Chinese Bands aggressively investigating this festival.
- Celebrity Yanni has asked us to advertise on his website and may compose a piece for us!
- Companies in US/Brasil get 100% tax deduction for sponsoring our trip.
- Parents/non-WIU personnel can go on trip. $2750/person is cost to attend.