Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Community Music School
WIU Community Music School - Recreational Music Making Beginning Class Piano for Adults Recreational Music Making (RMM) is defined as “A new strategy for enabling people who never before considered themselves musical to discover the joy and wellness benefits of playing a musical instrument.” (NAMM Global Summit, Spain, 2002) Philosophy
- Learning in a non-stressful environment.
- Focus on student goals rather than teacher goals.
- Open to "volunteer only" solo playing.
- Focus on mastering concepts rather than mastering repertoire.
- Patient teaching that guides student progress at student's pace.
- Flexible curriculum pacing with students choosing repertoire with teacher guidance.
- Age is never a factor in learning to play the piano.
- Learning is a journey, not a race.
- Value of the whole person rather than just one's musical ability.
- Mr. Mathew Nall
- Miss Amy Broadbent