Distance Learning

Extension Travel and Arrangements

The School of Distance Learning, International Studies, and Outreach provides funding and, in some cases stipends, for faculty who are required to teach at an off-site location that is different from their assigned home campus.  Travel Reimbursements, Vehicle Requisitions, and instructional stipends are processed and disbursed according to the guidelines set forth and as referenced in the current WIU/UPI Contract, Article 29.9.

Frequently Asked Questions

May I receive any reimbursement for off-campus advising purposes, departmental meetings, meetings with students related to thesis work?

Distance Learning does not reimburse travel for these types of activities. ONLY officially scheduled class times, with class times and rooms at an off-site location, are eligible for mileage reimbursement, lodging, etc.

Can I drive my personal car?

Any requests to drive a personal car must be submitted with justification prior to travel commencing. If a person wishes to drive a personal vehicle from home to an off-site location because it is much closer, personal mileage reimbursement will be considered at the current personal mileage reimbursement rate, if it actually is a cost savings to the university as well as a benefit to the faculty member. If there is no cost savings, but it is a benefit to the faculty member, then the personal rate will be charged for only 160 miles round-trip.

The following two forms must be submitted prior to any travel.

  • The appropriate authorization form to drive a personal vehicle sent to Travel Services.
  • The Travel Arrangement Form sent to Distance Learning.

Other requests to drive personal cars may be considered with justification. A justified reason may be that the personal vehicle is specifically made for someone with disabilities.

Can I e-mail my needs to Distance Learning for travel arrangements?

A Travel Arrangement Form must be completed.

I requested a state car on the Travel Arrangement Form, but I would like to ride with another instructor some days. Do I need to notify anyone?

Yes, you should contact Distance Learning with all changes to the Travel Arrangement Form before the date of travel.

What if I need to cancel a state vehicle request after it has been arranged?

The faculty member should contact the Distance Learning office (DistanceLearning@wiu.edu or phone: (309) 298-2108 or 298-2496) to cancel the vehicle or have their department secretary cancel the reservation and notify the Distance Learning office.

How will I know that a state vehicle has been arranged for my use?

You will receive a copy of the reservation form from the Distance Learning office.

What if a class is cancelled due to inclement weather?

The faculty member is responsible for informing the students of the cancellation. The Distance Learning office should be contacted as well.

What if the instructor and students reschedule classes due to conflicts?

The Distance Learning office must be notified of any changes to the days and/or times of a scheduled class.

Am I eligible for an off-campus instruction stipend, per contract, for canceled classes?


Am I eligible for reimbursement for arranged student discussion groups which are not part of the official class schedule?


Are there any timelines/deadlines for submitting requests for travel reimbursement for course instruction purposes?

All Travel Vouchers must be submitted and processed by the Distance Learning office within 60 days of the last class meeting time. For any other types of travel, the 60 day rule does apply, beginning with the earliest date listed on the Travel Voucher.

Do I have to submit a request for the off-campus instruction stipend (Article 29.9)?

No. Payment will be calculated by the Distance Learning office based on all available travel documentation. Failure to file Travel Vouchers or to notify Distance Learning of course travel changes will result in stipend processing delays.

When is the off-campus instruction stipend, per contract, processed?

Payments are processed within the first two months of the following semester, provided the appropriate Travel Vouchers have been submitted.

How is the off-campus instruction stipend calculated?

The stipend is based on the distance of the off-campus instruction site from the instructor’s home campus.

  • Compensation for sites less than 50 miles from campus will be paid at $25 per trip.

  • For sites between 50 and 150 miles, the compensation will be paid at $35 per trip.

  • Compensation for sites located more than 150 miles from campus will be paid at $45 per trip.

Are adjunct faculty members and department chairs eligible for any stipend and/or travel reimbursement?

It would be the responsibility and decision of the department chair whether he/she wishes to use departmental funds for any costs associated with adjunct teaching and traveling. The Distance Learning office does not make any arrangements for assigned adjunct faculty.

Department chairs who are teaching at an off-site location are eligible for use of a state vehicle, per diem meals, and lodging if justified based on the class times. Department chairs are NOT eligible for the “off-campus instruction stipend.”

After the course is completed, why do I have to submit information to the department secretary of dates and times of travel? Isn’t the Travel Arrangement Form enough?

The Travel Arrangement Form is completed prior to any travel commencing. In order to complete the Travel Voucher for reimbursement purposes, dates of travel, as well as arrival and departure times must be submitted. This also allows for accurate calculation of any per diem due to an eligible faculty member.

Am I eligible for any reimbursement if I am teaching a CODEC course and choose a receiving site, which is not my official home campus?

No off-campus instruction stipend, per diem, hotel, or personal mileage reimbursement will be paid per Article 29.9, when a faculty member chooses to teach from the receiving site.

For Questions

If you have any questions, contact the Distance Learning office at (309) 298-2108 or 2496.