Council for International Education
The Council for International Education (CIE) serves as the Western Illinois University Faculty Senate’s representative body to assist undergraduate students, faculty, and administration in attaining a credible international education environment that fosters the understanding, knowledge, and skills necessary for life within a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world.
- Approved Global Issues Courses
- Approved Departmental Plans for Meeting FLGI Requirement
- Policies and Procedures
- Sample General Education Global Issues Proposal (.pdf)
- Sample General Education Global Issues Syllabus (.pdf)
- Sample Short-Term Study Abroad Proposal (.docx)
- Sample Short-Term Study Abroad Syllabus (.docx)
Approval Procedures (New or Revised International Education Undergraduate Courses and Curricula):
- This Council is an intermediate step in the university approval process for new or revised international education undergraduate courses, or curricula. As such, the Council considers only such matters that pertain to international education.
- This Council does not circumvent the Council on Curricular Programs and Instruction (CCPI) requirements or the Council on General Education (CGE).
Any party requesting international education status for new or revised undergraduate courses or curricula must submit their documents to this Council. This Council will examine the documents ONLY to determine if the requirements for international education are met.
For approval, the Council must be provided with 12 copies (uncollated if more than one document is submitted per request) of all course or curricula originations or modifications. The documents will be placed before the Council for review by sending the copies to the Faculty Senate Office, Stipes Hall #323.A simple majority of voting members present at the meeting will determine whether or not a document is to be recommended for approval or rejected.
Meetings, Fall 2014: CIE meets at 3:00 pm on Wednesdays in the Union Fox Room, except for the October 22 meeting which will be held in Horrabin Hall Room 1
- September 10 -- Union Fox Room
- September 24 -- Union Fox Room
- October 8 -- Union Fox Room
- October 22 -- Horrabin Hall 1
- November 5 -- Union Fox Room
- November 19 -- Union Fox Room
- December 3 -- Union Fox Room
CIE consists of thirteen members (eleven voting) including nine faculty members (two from each college and one from the library) appointed by the Faculty Senate, two students (one study abroad student and one international student), and two ex-officio members from the Center of International Studies. Faculty appointments are for three years. Preference will be given to faculty and students with international education experience.
- Chandra Amaravadi, Computer Sciences
- Rick Carter, Center for International Studies (ex-officio member)
- Minsun Doh, Recreation, Park, and Tourism
- Emily Gorlewski, Center for International Studies (ex-officio member)
- Jeff Hancks, University Libraries
- Doug Huff, Music
- Richard Hughey, Music Administration
- Emma Mbekeani (Student Rep)
- Samira Riesheg, Curriculum and Instruction
- Gary Schmidt, Foreign Languages and Literatures
- Yong Tang, English and Journalism
- Bhavneet Walia (chair)