International Student Services

Driver's License

If you have an international driver's license and wish to drive in the United States, please apply for a temporary visitor driver's license (TVDL) as soon as possible.

Where to Go

The government office that deals with vehicles is the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) where you can get your driver's license and register your car.

Department of Motor Vehicles
466 S. Deer Road
Macomb, Illinois

You can take bus 13 or 19 to get there.

 *Effective July 1, 2014 Public Act 98-167 requires Illinois driver’s license applicants ages 18, 19, or 20, who have never previously been licensed or completed an approved driver education course, to complete a six hour Adult Driver Education Course.

The Adult Driver Education Course can only be taught by providers certified by the Secretary of State. Courses may be taught in a classroom setting or online, depending on the certification of a provider. Completion of an Adult Driver Education Course from a provider NOT LISTED, will not be accepted.

Upon successful completion of this course a certificate of completion will be provided to you and then you may visit a Secretary of State Driver Services facility to complete your vision, written and road test.

View a list of certified providers.


How to get a Driver's License

If you need to practice driving, you must first get a learner's permit. This card allows you to drive with someone who is older than 21 and has had their driver's license for more than one year.

If you do not have a social security number (SSN), you can apply for a temporary driver's license, which lasts no longer than three years.

To get a driver's license, take the following items to the DMV:

  • Passport
  • I-20
  • I-94 (print it from
  • Address information (you will need two separate documents--one can be a copy of the address screen from your STARS account). 
  • social security card (if you have one)

You come to Memorial Hall 347 if you need help finding these documents. 

If you have a social security number (SSN), you can apply for a full driver's license, which lasts 4 years. 


Driver's License Test

First, you have to take a vision test to check your eyes.

Then you will take a written test. This test will be about the information in the Illinois Driver's License Manual which can be downloaded from the following link:  

If you pass the written test, then you will take the driving test. You will need to bring a car for this; the DMV cannot provide one. If you do not have a car, you can borrow one from a friend or rent one.

If you pass both tests, you will pay a $30 fee and get your driver's license.

It is important that you do not let your license expire. If you don't have a social security number, your license will only last six months. You can go to the DMV to renew your license.


Buying a Car

There are three very important documents that you need if you own a car: the title, the registration, and insurance.

A title proves that you own your vehicle. If you buy a new car you must get a title for it. If you buy a used car you must change the title from the previous owner to your name. 

Registration is a document that proves that your car is safe to drive. 

You must also have insurance to legally drive a car. You can find a listing of insurance agents online.