Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Admission of International Students
International students are subject to all requirements for admission to the School of Graduate Studies. In addition, each international student must also meet the following requirements:
1. Hold a degree that is comparable to a recognized U.S. bachelor’s degree.
2. Complete and submit the International Application for Admission. The application may be completed online at student.services.wiu.edu/admissions/int.
3. Provide evidence of English language proficiency by obtaining a satisfactory score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of 550 or better (paper version/PBT) or 79 or greater (internet-based); obtaining a satisfactory score on the IELTS (academic format) of 6.5 or better with a minimum speaking sub score of 6.5 or better; successfully completing the English as a Second Language Program through WESL Institute; or by successfully completing a bachelor’s degree from an American institution with four years in residence, and within two years of matriculation at Western Illinois University. If a prospective student has a TOEFL score between 61 and 79 (IBT) or 500 and 550 (paper-based), he or she will be considered for admission in some programs on the basis of demonstrated academic ability (grade point average). Some departments may require additional demonstration of verbal English proficiency before full acceptance into the program will be granted. Only students whose native language is English are exempt from the English proficiency requirements. All students who have not provided evidence of English language proficiency before arrival on campus must take the WESL placement test during the New International Student Orientation period held at the beginning of each semester.
4. Complete and submit an original Declaration of Finances form.
5. Submit original financial documentation proving evidence of adequate assets to support student during first year of study.
6. Submit a $30 application fee.
International students may also be required to remediate any deficiencies in previous college work by completing undergraduate courses at Western Illinois University.
International students interested in applying to the School of Graduate Studies should contact:
Center for International Studies
Western Illinois University
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455-1390, USA
Phone: (309) 298-2426
Fax: (309) 298-2405