Government and legal information available at WIU on related topics:
Searchable Databases | Health Agencies | Publications/Reports | Health Journals
- You can look up health indicators by topic, geography, or initiative. There is a wealth of information here collected from many different agencies and databases.
Food Environment Atlas
- The site houses maps and data at the county level for information dealing with food and nutrition issues, including food accessibility, physical activity, prices, obesity and diabetes rates, and more. You can download an Excel spreadsheet with lots of county-level data here. Use the tabs at the bottom to navigate to different data.
Community Nutrition Mapping Project
- Click on a state and get information for percent of the population on nutrient intakes, obesity and exercise.
- This site organizes information on genomes (not just the human genome) including "sequences, maps, chromosomes, assemblies and annotations." You can browse buy organism and even submit a genome.
- Find information on cancer types and treatments and much more.
- Perform data set queries of CDC databases or view STD reports.
Choose My Plate
- Nutrition tips, meal plans and recipes are available at this USDA site. You can also use the SuperTracker to create a personalized nutrition and fitness plan and track your progress over time.
- Information on keeping food safe, storing it properly and food recalls and alerts.
Health Information (National Institutes of Health)
- Lots of health information and links to databases, articles and research.
- This search tool leads to health publications, databases, and both government and not-for-profit organization websites.
- At this premier website you can search medical dictionaries and encyclopedias, hospital and physician directories, and a database of information (including side-effects and drug interactions) on prescription and over-the-counter drugs.
- Your guide to nutrition and health information on Federal Government Websites.
- Search the database of more than 9 million citations to medical articles. PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine, provides access to over 12 million MEDLINE citations back to the mid-1960's and additional life science journals. PubMed includes links to many sites providing full text articles and other related resources.
Administration for Children and Families
- ACF oversees many sub-agencies including AFDC, Children's Bureau, and the Administration on Developmental Disabilities. Find info on welfare reform, Head Start and other programs.
Administration on Aging
- Includes the Aging Network; this site is a good resource for issues confronting older Americans with links to current law and legislation and statistical reports.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Lots of information on elder care, managed care, mental health, research, plus fact sheets for consumers.
Centers for Disease Control
- Find health information, statistics on emerging diseases, and more.
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Information on Medicare and Medicaid, statistical data, agency publications, and programs are few of the things you'll find here.
Department of Health and Human Services
- Link to Health Department agencies from here.
Food and Drug Administration
- Find out what the FDA says about cosmetic products, drugs in the news and more.
Food and Nutrition Service
- Nutrition Assistance Programs from the USDA.
National Cancer Institute
- Cancer types, treatment, prevention, risk factors, survival rates and more.
National Center for Biotechnology Information
- Information abounds on genetic material/projects. Also find here various searchable databases.
National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Find out about various types of complementary and alternative medical practices and programs for research.
National Center for Health Statistics
- Find published reports and health statistics.
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute
- A good source for information on heart/blood/lung diseases including asthma, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and sleep disorders.
National Human Genome Research Institute
- Find out about the Human Genome Project, human genetics, and policy and ethics issues surrounding the Project.
National Institutes of Health
- Link to the separate Institutes, Centers, and Divisions that make up the NIH, and browse an A-Z topic index or search for general health information.
National Library of Medicine
- The world's largest medical library, link to many medical databases from this site.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Link to SAMHSA's sub-agencies or find reports and statistical information. Get help for mental health and substance abuse problems.
WIU Libraries is now a PTRC!
Browse by Topic