Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Distance Education: ILL Services
The University Library's Interlibrary Loan (ILL) unit provides a variety of services to help distance learners gain access to books, articles, and other resources. The following information provides an overview of ILL services, policies and limitations for WIU-registered distance learners.
Electronic Form Requests
WIU Distance Learners should use the following forms when requesting books, photocopies of articles, or making renewal requests. Be sure to use the "WIU-QC" form if you want to pick up your items at that location.
|MAILED TO YOU (see fees)||PICK-UP at WIU-QC (Moline, IL)|
|Create ILLiad Account||Book Request|
|Logon to ILLiad||Article Request|
|Book Renewals||Book Renewals|
ILL Policies for Distance Learners
Qualifying for Distance Education Services
- Affiliated users who may use this service are: current employees of WIU, retired faculty and staff of WIU, and active students enrolled at WIU who reside over 40 miles from WIU-Macomb and WIU-Quad Cities campus libraries.
- Inactive graduate students who need to finish their research project should contact Interlibrary loan for further information.
- Books ordered through ILLiad will be mailed to you.
- Article Photocopies will be e-mailed to your ILLiad account.
- Books ordered through I-Share should be picked up at the library chosen by the user in the "Choose pick-up library".
The amount of time to receive ordered materials varies. When an item is requested, there is no guarantee the item will be available for loan or that it will be received in an expedient manner. Our services are dependent upon other institutions' workloads and other conditions beyond our control.
Articles, Books and other Borrowed Materials
While most Interlibrary Loan requests are obtained at no charge, there are occasions when other libraries charge for materials borrowed from them. WIU Libraries will subsidize requests for WIU affiliated faculty, staff, and students.
In accordance with the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S. Code) items for which copyright has to be paid as stated by the copyright law are:
- Anytime a library requests more than FIVE articles from ONE PERIODICAL TITLE (JOURNAL/MAGAZINE) during the current year.
- A library may not request more than ONE article that appears in the SAME ISSUE of a PERIODICAL.
Due to budgetary constraints the library is currently unable to pay copyright charges.
Items that may be difficult to obtain or renew
- Videos, DVDs, CDs, microforms
- Reference, historical or genealogy materials
- Items currently on reserve in the WIU Library
- Entire issues of a journal
- Julie Hannen
- Access Services