General Reference Links
Biography | Business | Consumers | Dictionaries | Education | Government | Health | Jobs/Careers | Law/Politics | Maps/Distances | Movies | News | Phone/Zip Codes | Style Manuals | Time/Weather | Travel/Tourism
For comprehensive listings, please see Web Resources.
- This searchable database, sponsored by the A&E Biography television series, is based upon the Cambridge Biographical Encyclopedia (1994).
- Biographical Dictionary
- Covers more than 28,000 notable women and men, from ancient times to the present day.
Business and Economics
- Hoover's Online -- Company Information
- Information on over 8,000 companies searchable by name, ticker symbol or geographic location. Includes market data, links to web homepages and weekly business news.
- EDGAR, the Electronic Data Gathering, Analysis, and Retrieval system, performs automated collection, validation, indexing, acceptance, and forwarding of submissions by companies and others who are required by law to file forms (e.g. 10-K forms) with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
- U.S. Economics and Statistics Administration
- This resource provides access to current national economic data from a number of federal agencies.
- Wall Street Research Net
- Online market news, Dow Jones and NASDAQ statistics, "most active" stocks, and other financial information.
- Big Charts
- An investment research web site providing access to a variety of research tools. Includes interactive charts, quotes, industry analysis, intraday stock screeners, as well as market news & commentary.
- Universal Currency Converter
- The Universal Currency Converter allows you to perform interactive foreign exchange rate conversion.
- BestPlaces.net (Sperling's)
- Offers city profiles, cost of living indices, crime rates, climate data, and more.
- Edmund's Automobile Buyer's Guides
- A service provided by the publisher of the print versions. Includes information and prices for current year model vehicles, used car ratings and prices for models dated 1985 and after and a variety of other information such as tips on buying a car and price negotiation.
- Federal Consumer Information Center
- The Federal Consumer Information Center (FCIC) helps federal agencies and departments develop and distribute useful information to the public.
- Measure 4 Measure
- Lists numerous websites that estimate, calculate, evaluate, translate, etc.
- Unit Converter
- Provides a form to convert length, weight, volume, area, temperature and more.
- Acronym Dictionary
- Search by acronym or word producing either an alphabetical listing of acronyms or listings of acronyms containing a particular word. Acronyms not appearing can be submitted for inclusion.
- Searches a variety of quotation sources, dictionaries, thesauri, and other literary collections.
- Bible Search
- Search the Bible version of your choice in seven different languages.
- Encyclopedia Britannica
- Britannica.com includes the complete, updated Encyclopedia Britannica, the oldest and largest general reference in the English language.
- OneLook Dictionary
- Searches over 4 million words in more than 800 online dictionaries.
- Webster's Dictionary/Thesaurus
- Searchable version of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (10th edition) and Collegiate Thesaurus
- yourDictionary.com is a substantial collection of dictionaries on the web (more than 1500 dictionaries representing more than 230 languages).
- American Universities
- Provides links to homepages of colleges and universities granting bachelor and advanced degress in the United States.
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Highlights and contents of the weekly edition, includes the job listings for that week. (WIU-affiliated users)
- College Source
- Full-text access to both international and national college catalogs, listing undergraduate and graduate degrees, programs, etc. (Only available on library computers).
- Financial Aid Information
- Includes a glossary of financial aid terms as well as information about grants, loans and scholarships from both government and nongovernment sources. Also provides links to related sites.
- Peterson's College Guides
- Online versions of the printed guides. Guides to undergraduate, graduate and vocational-technical school. Searchable by name or location. Includes a section on postgraduate education for executives.
See Government Information for complete listings.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States
- Includes tables and graphs. Searchable by subject. Does not include all information from the print version.
- State and Local Governments
- Organized by the Library of Congress, includes links to state sites, organizations, and state maps.
- The CIA World Factbook
- An online edition of the print version. Provides alphabetical listings of countries and information concerning: geography, people, government, economy, communications and defense sources.
- Country Studies - Area Handbook Program
- Sponsored by the Department of the Army, 71 countries are included providing a wide range of information including history, geography, economy, transportation, people and more.
- Embassy World
- Provides links embassy websites of nations throughout the world. The database is searchable by both host and guest county.
- Flags of the World
- Graphic representations of flags. Searchable by country, geographic location, keyword or title.
- AMA Physician Select
- Provides basic professional information on virtually every licensed physician in the United States.
- Healthfinder is a free gateway to reliable consumer health and human services information developed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Health Information
- Publications & fact sheets, ClinicalTrials.gov, health hotlines, A-Z topic index, institutes, MEDLINEplus, and other resources from the National Institutes of Health.
- Mayo Clinic Health Oasis
- Updated daily, this website is produced by a team of physicians, scientists, writers, and educators affiliated with the Mayo Clinic.
- Merck Manual
- Searchable version of "the world's most widely used general medical text."
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Online edition of print version. Includes information about careers: job descriptions, training needed and outlook for future employment.
- Job Search (CareerOneStop.gov)
- Sponsored by the US Department of Labor, this site provides links to state-operated job banks and general employment information.
- Monster Jobs
- A global online network for careers, connecting companies with job-seekers.
Law, Legislation and Politics
- An "independent, nonpartisan resource" on trends in American public opinion.
- Thomas: US Legislative Information
- Offers full text of recent and current bills from Congress. Searchable by bill number or by key word(s). Current bills also searchable by subject and popular title. Other legislative information links provided.
- Vote Smart Web
- Nonpartisan information about congressional office holders including voting records and performance evaluations from special interest groups. Additional information about presidential candidates, campaign finance, names and addresses of representatives, and individual political issues.
- An interactive website atlas that calculates driving times, gives travel directions, and other navigational information.
- Maps of the Americas
- Includes maps of the Americas, primarily from the CIA. U.S. maps include historical and census maps with metropolitan area and county outline maps for each state.
Movies and Reviews
- Internet Movie Database
- Provides a wide variety of search options including movie titles, cast/crew names, plot summaries and some reviews.
- Awards and Festivals Browser
- Provides a searchable database of both recent and historical information on hundreds of award ceremonies and film festivals. Whether you're looking for the latest Golden Globes winners or the results of the 1947 Oscar race, you'll find it here.
News and Current Events
- Online Newspapers
- This site lists the websites of over 4,000 newspapers (from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe).
- CNN Interactive
- Lead stories from CNN updated throughout the day. Includes access to stories from the past week as well
- Offers links to major news sources including newspapers, magazines, radio/TV broadcasters, international resources, and more.
- News Headlines
- Up-to-the-minute global news and information from the Associated Press, CNN, NPR, Reuters and other news organizations (via Yahoo).
Phone Numbers/Zip Codes
- Any Who Toll Free Number Directory
- Developed by AT&T, you may search toll-free numbers by category or business listing. Does not include all numbers available through AT&T directory assistance.
- Switchboard.com Directory
- U.S. phone number database for people and businesses, you do not need to register to use this resource.
- An index of online phone books, with over 400 links to Yellow Pages, White Pages, Business Directories, Email Addresses and Fax Listings from over 170 countries around the world.
- Zip Code Information (U.S.)
- Provides zip codes for addresses entered, full addresses for companies when name and city/state data are entered. Entering a zip code will result in the corresponding city and state.
- Create your own database of references and let RefWorks format citations and produce bibliographies in the style of your choice. (WIU users only)
- Electronic Reference Formats -- APA
- Provides official APA documentation on how to cite electronic sources (websites, webpages, e-mail communications, etc.)
- UIUC Online Style Guide
- Online Citation Styles
- An index to a variety of electronic style manuals.
- U.S. Naval Observatory Time
- The Time Service Department, U.S. Naval Observatory is the official source of time used in the United States. Select your time zone to see the correct time.
- The World Clock - Time Zones
- Displays the current time in all parts of the world.
- Online Calendars
- A collection of customizable calendars displaying moon phases, holidays, and observances.
- Macomb, IL Weather (via CNN)
- CNN provides current weather conditions, maps, and the forecast for the WIU area.
- Macomb, IL Weather (via Weather.com)
- Get current weather information and forecasting (including Local Doppler and Regional Satellite images).
Travel and Tourism
- USA City Link
- Links to city and state web sites providing primarily tourist oriented information. Descriptions of locations of interest, historic sites, museums, lodging and restaurants. Some sites also include information about local governments and organizations.
- Travel guide to countries, cities, hotels, restaurants and more.