The Library's Beginning|
Dunbar and Sherman Hall
Margaret Dunbar, Librarian (1902-1912)
The Western Illinois State Normal School (later,
Western Illinois University) opened on September 23, 1902 with 229 students.
To support the curriculum, a small library was fashioned on a balcony overlooking
the assembly hall (later the gymnasium) in Sherman Hall. In the fall of 1903,
the library migrated from its temporary quarters on the balcony to a
single room on the second floor. Later this area was used as a student lounge
and subsequently was refurbished to house the President's offices.
Margaret Dunbar, a graduate of Monmouth College (B.L.)
and the University of Illinois (Bachelor of Library Science), was appointed
as the institution's first librarian in 1902.
Fanny R. Jackson
(A.B., Rockford; B.L.S., University Of Illinois), who served as Assistant
Librarian and Cataloger under Dunbar, took over as the school's Librarian in 1912.